Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Johan Karlsson TACMa <jo...@tac.se> on 2001/01/17 09:02:22 UTC

Logging in Applet

Hi!

I have just started using Log4j. At the moment I´m evaluating it. The first
try was an application. I really like Log4j!!

However, when trying to incorporate it into one of out products I ran into
some troubles. I tried to use it in an applet. When I make a call to
Category.getInstance(), I get a SecurityException. (I´m using IE 5.5 with
Microsoft JVM Release 5.0.0.3319). The reason is that Category.getInstance()
is calling System.getProperty(). Is it possible to have an extra method to
get a Category instance? (One that does not access the properties?)

At the moment I have solved by changing the Applet security permissions.
However, we cannot deliver our code with that restriction.

Regards
Johan

Re: Logging in Applet

Posted by Ceki Gulcu <cg...@urbanet.ch>.
At 09:02 17.01.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I have just started using Log4j. At the moment I´m evaluating it. The first
>try was an application. I really like Log4j!!
>
>However, when trying to incorporate it into one of out products I ran into
>some troubles. I tried to use it in an applet. When I make a call to
>Category.getInstance(), I get a SecurityException. (I´m using IE 5.5 with
>Microsoft JVM Release 5.0.0.3319). The reason is that Category.getInstance()
>is calling System.getProperty(). Is it possible to have an extra method to
>get a Category instance? (One that does not access the properties?)

Johan,

Does the security exception appear when you have log4j.configDebug property
on? Is the exception caught by log4j? Can show it to us? Thanks, Ceki

---
Freedom as in the capacity to exercise choice.