Posted to general@attic.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/30 10:32:22 UTC

Renaming of Git repos when moving to Attic

INFRA have started renaming Git repos when a PMC moves to the Attic.

They say this is because Attic asked for write access to the repos.

I don't think we need write access any more; in any case renaming the
Git repo breaks existing URLs.

I think the repos should be reverted to their original names to
restore the links.

Sebb.

Re: Renaming of Git repos when moving to Attic

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 07:51:28AM +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> now that requiring write access means not only cumbersome efforts but also
> breaking Git repositories for end users (by renaming), yes, I'm confident we're
> sufficiently prepared to say that we don't need write access at all

After the DOAP file editing has gone away, it's been a couple of minor
things that's been edited in attic projects and there's been a recent
request from someone who wanted off the contributor list of a project.
Small stuff, that's probably not beyond reasonable asking infra to do
on the behalf of attic.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://flickr.com/photos/q42/

Re: Renaming of Git repos when moving to Attic

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, many improvements in the process were done in recent years to avoid
requiring write access (because this was the step in the process that was the
most time/energy consuming between Attic members and infra)

now that requiring write access means not only cumbersome efforts but also
breaking Git repositories for end users (by renaming), yes, I'm confident we're
sufficiently prepared to say that we don't need write access at all

regards,

Hervé

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 at 07:16, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 2 avril 2021, 02:11:24 CEST sebb a écrit :
> > >
> > > yes, agree

> > > making explicit GitBox vs GitHub can be useful
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by that.
> is seems frenglish is about a mindset in associating words :)
>
> I mean that we should not only talk about "Git" but more precisely how things
> are handled both on GitBox and GitHub, our 2 concrete Git server solutions,
> because both have different features that should be kept in sync.

Agreed. AFAIK that is supposed to happen, but there may be bug in the
tooling or a temporary fault that prevents proper synchronisation.

> I was really surprised that Falcon Git repository had a different name on
> GitBox vs GitHub: we need to check both systems.

I don't think it is our responsibility to check that the two systems agree.
We have no direct control over them so if they get out of step that
not something we can fix.

However if we do notice an issue, then of course we should report it.

I've reported the Falcon issue as a part of

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le jeudi 1 avril 2021, 20:45:27 CEST Mads Toftum a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 11:21:20AM +0100, sebb wrote:
> > Are we all agreed that:
> > - projects which are moved to the Attic should not have their
> > repositories renamed
> > - repositories should instead be made read-only and marked as such (as per
> > [4])
> Agreed? no.
> The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that projects
> under attic should be named accordingly. What other projects don't name
> their projects with the project name?
If we were creating these projects to maintain them alive, I would agree: yes,
when we'll move our Atttic site from svn to Git, its Git repository will be
attic-site.git, such will it be of anything we'll create to maintain the Attic

But our usual job is not about creating projects: we're given oversight on
pre-existing projects when they are retired, to put them in amber for
eternity.
If we can avoid to alter anything while putting retired projects in amber,
it's better, to let pre-existing community still find the retired project at
the same place it was in the past.

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb,

> On Apr 1, 2021, at 3:21 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are we all agreed that:
> - projects which are moved to the Attic should not have their
> repositories renamed
> - repositories should instead be made read-only and marked as such (as per [4])
>
> If so, I will raise an INFRA JIRA to get the existing repo renames reverted.

I agree.

Craig

> Thanks

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Renaming of Git repos when moving to Attic

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 06:58, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> looking at Falcon retirement [1], which has a Git repo:
> - current Gitbox repo is attic-falcon.git [2]
> - but GitHub (where everybody is looking at) is still falcon.git [3]

Well spotted.

> And on GitHub, a clear sign of retirement for users exists, that has not been
> activated on this falcon.git: that is **archived** repositories, like [4]

Agreed.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 01:02:58AM +0100, sebb wrote:
> Infra say that the rename of the Git repos was to allow write access
> by Attic people.
> I assume that the attic- prefix turns it into an Attic-controlled repo.
>
> This would allow Attic access and deny project access.
>
> Project access can also be denied by dropping the LDAP group (which
> happens anyway).
>
> Even if we did still need temporary write access, there are better
> ways to manage it than renaming the repo.
> For example, by joining the LDAP group before it is deleted.
>
> I did not need write access for any of the recent projects that I dealt with.

Yeah, I suppose the main argument in favor of moving it would be to make
it clear that you're looking at an attic codebase. I see the

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I don't see a need for Attic to have write access to the repos. No further code development will be done.

I trust Sebb's judgement, since he is the one who has the most recent experience with handling project retirement. So his comments on the damage that is caused by the rename are compelling.

Craig

> On Mar 30, 2021, at 3:32 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> INFRA have started renaming Git repos when a PMC moves to the Attic.
>
> They say this is because Attic asked for write access to the repos.
>
> I don't think we need write access any more; in any case renaming the
> Git repo breaks existing URLs.
>
> I think the repos should be reverted to their original names to
> restore the links.
>
> Sebb.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org