Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/23 17:17:33 UTC

hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Hi,

as this deals with the future releases of hbase, I post it on this list.
I think this question goes to the nominated release managers of the 1.1
release (thus Nick and Andrew).

I'm in desperate need of the MOB feature. I even would rather use a
"unstable" release than a recommended without this feature. My plan of
releasing my application is around june/july, install at customer a
little after that, perhaps august or september.

In the thread "Rough goal timelines for 1.1 and 2.0" there Enis wrote
that in the 1.1 release the pipelined features (MOB amongst other
things) are included and the rough goal is around may. There was no nay,
but not a lot of yay either. Furthermore, the JIRA for MOB refers to the
2.0.0 release.

Thus my question: is MOB in the 1.1 release coming around may/june? If
yes ... never mind ;). Of no, is it planed for the 1.2, or however it
will be called, release or should I go with 2.0.0? Is 1.2 even planed?
Or is 2.0.0 the next step after 1.1.X? Sean seemed to imply that.

Best wishes

Wilm

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am 24.03.2015 um 16:35 schrieb Nick Dimiduk:
> Are you referring to the new Admin, Table, BufferedMutator interfaces?
> Those are available now in 1.0.
yes, and the "TableName" implementation, which abstracts the "regular"
table name.

I also refer e.g. to the "hbase: the definitive guide" (I think second
edition *scratch at head while trying to find the edition*) at page at
page 80 "Simple put example", where the code example is.

Quote:
==
Configuration conf = HBaseConfiguration.create();

HTable table = new HTable(conf, "testtable");
==

which is depreceated but I think still widely used (e.g. by myself
before I dug more deeply into hbase). I guess that all the "old" API
will be useable in the 1.X series, but will be kicked in the 2.X
releases. Thus I think that there will be a discussion here regarding
the 1.2 vs. 2.0 release.

On one hand: the jump to 2.0 would "break" a lot of applications which
are developed against 1.X. On the other hand ... at some point this has
to be done. Or the discussion to let e.g. HTable survive (at it is in
the 2.0.0 snapshot API right now) or to kill it alltogether for the
Table API. Or weather there is enough bandwidth to do both, etc..

I know, it's easy to change all the client stuff to the new API. But
that's a developer point of view :/.

But I didn't want to create a discussion about something that will be
newsworthy in 6 month or so. I'm just, let's say academically, curious
how this will be solved. I think it will be an interesting discussion.
It was just a side note. Sry for bringing that up unintentionally.

But now I shut up and hack ;).

Best wishes

Wilm

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
Am 24.03.2015 um 03:07 schrieb Nick Dimiduk:
> Thanks for chiming in Jon.
>
> I'd like to see the MOB feature included in 1.1, so long as it can be
> shipped disabled by default to avoid surprises for unrelated users.
I agree, but do not understand your point. MOB is something to turn on
(by setting mob => true at the creation of the table). Could you point
out, what's on your mind by "disabled by default"?

> That
> said, it will depend on contributors' bandwidth to port the patches. Since
> Jon is willing, it seems likely that the feature will be included in 1.1.
> Maybe you have some bandwidth to help him with the porting efforts?
I'm in contact with Jon. I think together we will find a good way to
combine our bandwidths and get this done. Perhaps I can help with some
testing, auditing and bug killing.

> As for the release subsequent to 1.1, it will be up for the community to
> decide, probably sometime around the 3rd quarter of 2015. I haven't heard
> any volunteers for 2.0 RM yet, nor for 1.2.
okay. Thx for the info. This will be an interesting discussion, as the
API changes quite fundamental with 2.0.0. I'm looking forward to the 3rd
quarter of 2015 ;).

Best wishes

Wilm

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Nick

The feature is optional and is essentially  "disabled" by default -- to
turn it on you need be using hfile v3 and need to alter an existing table
or create a table with particular properties set.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for chiming in Jon.

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
Am 23.03.2015 um 23:23 schrieb Jonathan Hsieh:
> Hi Wlim,
>
> I've been running the branch and hope to get it merged into with trunk/
> 2.0.0.
I run it here with the 2.0.0 branch, too. But I think 1.1 is a way
better plan in the long run, as the 2.0.0 release will be available in
at least 10 month I guess.

> I'd be willing to port it to 1.1 if the release managers will have
> it.  I"m hardening the feature working with Jingcheng and Jiajia.
sounds amazing. Thanks for your effort.

> I've been running integration tests and perf tests against the feature and
> hope to call a merge vote in a few weeks.
If I can help, send me a mail.

Best wishes,

Wilm

Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature