Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com> on 2021/10/13 19:42:29 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS][Rust] Biweekly sync call for arrow/datafusion again?

Tomorrow October 14 would be the next 16:00 Rust sync up.

However, we don't seem to have anything on the agenda[1]

Would anyone like to propose topics? Or shall we skip this time ? Maybe
monthly would be a better cadence?

Andrew

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1atCVnoff5SR4eM4Lwf2M1BBJTY6g3_HUNR6qswYJW_U/edit#

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.
There are a few interesting topics that I think would make a good sync up
in the sync document. For personal reasons I can no longer host such
meetings on Thursdays for a while but I would like to propose one for next
Wednesday March 20, 2022 at 15:00 UTC. Please see the document for more
details and to offer comments.

I also want to remind the community that anyone should feel free to
organize meetups on days / timezones that work well for them and publicize
them in the document, in the slack channel and on the mailing list.

Re: [DISCUSS][Rust] Performance Measurements (was Biweekly sync call for arrow/datafusion again?)

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.

> > > - By "pipeline-breaking" I assume you mean "very slow", but can you
> give
> > me
> > details? Does this arise from some particular observation, or other
> > reported issues?
> >
> > In general pipeline breaking means that the output of the operator can't
> be
> > produced until it has seen *ALL* its input.
> >
> > For example, a sort (ORDER BY x) is a pipeline breaker because the engine
> > has to see the entire input prior to being able to produce any output.
> >
> > However, a filter (WHERE x > 500) is not a pipeline breaker because the
> > operator can produce output rows as soon as it sees any that pass the
> > filter criteria.
> >

> Aha, I get it--so the goal is not necessarily to speed up the whole thing
> but to be able to send output to the next processing stage sooner.
> So IIRC besides sorts, the other types of queries mentioned were joins,
> group by, and hash aggregates?

Yes. DataFusion uses hash aggregates today to implement GROUP BY so I
probably wouldn't describe them as different types of queries.

> > > - In general, what tools are you using to analyze datafusion
> performance?
> >
> > The tools used most commonly are in the benchmark directory [1] There is
> > some other work
> >
> > >  - How much profiling have you done to identify bottlenecks?
> >
> > I would say it is done on an "as needed basis" -- namely someone runs a
> > query that is important to them and then improves whatever hotspot they
> may
> > find.
> >
> > However, we don't have regular runs of the same queries or automatically
> > gather data over time. dianaclarke added integration for condabench in
> [2]
> > that I think would allow for such data collection, but no one has hooked
> up
> > the benchmarks to it uet.
> >
> > Getting regular runs of the performance benchmark up and running would be
> > very valuable indeed, if you were looking to help.
> >
> > Yes, I'm definitely looking to help, and maybe getting more perf
> benchmarks up would be a good way of starting.
> I noticed that matthewmturner was working on something to run benchmarks in
> docker, which is pretty nice! [3]
> Any suggestions for performance use cases would be welcome; I could add
> them in.
> One thing I like to do is to run the same benchmark and tweak the knobs,
> such as number of rows, cardinality, etc. because the effects can vary A
> LOT.

I agree this is a great strategy.  I don't think there is any reason we
can't do this to DataFusion, but no one has yet invested the time into a
systematic investigation.

I am tempted to venture opinions on how to do things based on my experience
> building my own (closed-source) columnar query engine, but that one is an
> entirely different beast, so I am not qualified to opine until I learn
> more.
> I'm starting to follow history about various performance improvements, but
> if anyone has any suggestion, like "I wish datafusion could complete X
> query on 50 bazillion rows in less than 3 days", let me know. In
> performance, there are so many variables that it's hard to know where to
> start.

I think the TPCH queries would be a great place to start. Specifically,
getting to the point where we had a baseline number at Scale Factor 1 would
be great. DataFusion doesn't run some of them due to lack of various
features, but I can't remember how well they are tracked. Getting DF to the
point where all the queries complete in a "reasonable" amount of time would
be pretty awesome

Andrew

Re: [DISCUSS][Rust] Performance Measurements (was Biweekly sync call for arrow/datafusion again?)

Posted by Bob Tinsman <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for pulling this out from the long thread...

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 3:06 AM Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> > - By "pipeline-breaking" I assume you mean "very slow", but can you give
> me
> details? Does this arise from some particular observation, or other
> reported issues?
>
> In general pipeline breaking means that the output of the operator can't be
> produced until it has seen *ALL* its input.
>
> For example, a sort (ORDER BY x) is a pipeline breaker because the engine
> has to see the entire input prior to being able to produce any output.
>
> However, a filter (WHERE x > 500) is not a pipeline breaker because the
> operator can produce output rows as soon as it sees any that pass the
> filter criteria.

Aha, I get it--so the goal is not necessarily to speed up the whole thing
but to be able to send output to the next processing stage sooner.
So IIRC besides sorts, the other types of queries mentioned were joins,
group by, and hash aggregates?

> > - In general, what tools are you using to analyze datafusion performance?
>
> The tools used most commonly are in the benchmark directory [1] There is
> some other work
>
> >  - How much profiling have you done to identify bottlenecks?
>
> I would say it is done on an "as needed basis" -- namely someone runs a
> query that is important to them and then improves whatever hotspot they may
> find.
>
> However, we don't have regular runs of the same queries or automatically
> gather data over time. dianaclarke added integration for condabench in [2]
> that I think would allow for such data collection, but no one has hooked up
> the benchmarks to it uet.
>
> Getting regular runs of the performance benchmark up and running would be
> very valuable indeed, if you were looking to help.
>
> Yes, I'm definitely looking to help, and maybe getting more perf
benchmarks up would be a good way of starting.
I noticed that matthewmturner was working on something to run benchmarks in
docker, which is pretty nice! [3]
Any suggestions for performance use cases would be welcome; I could add
them in.
One thing I like to do is to run the same benchmark and tweak the knobs,
such as number of rows, cardinality, etc. because the effects can vary A
LOT.

I am tempted to venture opinions on how to do things based on my experience
building my own (closed-source) columnar query engine, but that one is an
entirely different beast, so I am not qualified to opine until I learn more.
I'm starting to follow history about various performance improvements, but
if anyone has any suggestion, like "I wish datafusion could complete X
query on 50 bazillion rows in less than 3 days", let me know. In
performance, there are so many variables that it's hard to know where to
start.

Thanks, Bob

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.
Hi Bob,