Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Otheus <ot...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/06 10:51:04 UTC

[users@httpd] mod gzip doesn't seem to work with proxied content

Greetings,

We are using Apache 2.0.52, 32-bit, and I have tried to enable
mod_deflate. It works for some content, but most notably, it does not
work for content that is directed via the Rewrite engine to a proxy
server.

I am separately logging all requests that do *not* have "no-gzip"
environment variable set. Filtering through this log for the
compression ratio, I can determine which URLs are and are not
deflated.  Excluding favicons and flash files, quite a few files that
are being proxied do *not* get deflated. Why?

For instance, the following URL (prefixed with the mime/type) only
gets served through our proxies via a Java application server.
    text/html
/at/guide/54949at,de,SCH1/ffs,2,objectId,RGN190at,curr,EUR,folder,EVENT,season,at2,selectedEntry,event/event.html

However, even some static content does not get deflated:
    text/javascript  /at/uptodate/static/5,de,SCH1/_/local.js

Some URLs that are proxied to a PHP server ARE deflated:
    text/html
/xxl/_lang/de/_site/innsbruck/_area/453003/_subArea/463299/index.html

Is this a known issue with proxying? (CHANGE_LOGs of Apache helped me
none.) What headers might an application or proxy server generate that
would somehow disable mo_deflate WITHOUT generating the no-gzip
environment variable?

--
Otheus
otheus@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] mod gzip doesn't seem to work with proxied content

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 6 Feb 2009, at 09:51, Otheus wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We are using Apache 2.0.52, 32-bit, and I have tried to enable
> mod_deflate. It works for some content, but most notably, it does not
> work for content that is directed via the Rewrite engine to a proxy
> server.

mod_deflate will work fine with proxied contents.  The issue is with
filter configuration.   This is one of the problems solved by mod_filter
in Apache 2.2.

--
Nick Kew