Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by David Abdurachmanov <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/05 11:36:18 UTC

First time (setting up testing environment)

Hello,

I am trying to setup testing environment on one virtual machine to check out VCL and more clearly understand how it works, but I find documentation not that good.

First of all, Only PHP 5.0 - 5.2 might work, PHP 5.3 have some deprecated functions removed and VCL website does not work properly.

There was a note that you should never add computer with "maintenance" state, but VCL website says, that's all VM can only be added in "maintenance" state.

Next thing there is not such Provisioning Engine as "VMWare Server Provisioning", only VMWare ESX or VMWare Server GSX. And I would like to use VMWare Server 1.0.X version.

When going to "New Reservation" after DB, Website and VCLD is running I get error in ./ht-inc/requests.php (line 148) and some full array is printed.  (This problem: http://www.mail-archive.com/vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00647.html)

Maybe someone could via IM help me out to set VCL testing environment?

Thanks in advance,
David

Re: First time (setting up testing environment)

Posted by David Abdurachmanov <da...@gmail.com>.
On 2010.06.21, at 21:07, Aaron Peeler wrote:

> On 6/21/10 1:32 PM, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
>> I have it partially running (feels good). I have a base image created and it's moved to managed node. Everything is grouped correctly with the right permissions and it already allows to load image to virtual machine. The problem I am having now is that setup of private network (VMWare Host-Only) is not working. Virtual machine gets IP from DHCP exactly as it should, but host computer is not reachable from virtual machine and virtual machine is not reachable from host computer. I have a key generated on public network and VCLD can not connect via SSH because of host is unknown after loading on virtual machine. I am gonna try fixing networks setup in a few days.
>>
> Make sure the hostname of the vm can be resolved at the cmd line. Also check to make sure the hostname of the virtual machine is listed in the /etc/hosts file on the management node.

The IP can be resolved, and hosts file is exactly as mentioned in tutorial, but still you can not communicate between localvmhost and vm-guest1. I always get message that it's unreachable, it's like they would be on different networks. I was suggested to reconfigure network and using subnet 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.0.0. There might be problems with VMWare using different subnet. I will write in few days how it went.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: First time (setting up testing environment)

Posted by David Abdurachmanov <da...@gmail.com>.
Okay, I am following
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VMware+VCL+Environmentinstructions.

Problems:
a) Step "Configure the VM host profile:" is not possible. To manage virtual
hosts you must change computer state to "vmhostinuse". Otherwise you get
this message after pressing "Virtual Hosts":

You do not have access to manage any existing virtual hosts.

To create a new Virtual Host, change the state of a computer to
'vmhostinuse' under Manage Computers->Computer Utilities.

The next step is to change localvmhost to "vmhostinuse" state, but by using
database, which does not enable Virtual Host. Only by assinging localvmhost
to "vmhostinuse" using web tools, enabled Virtual Host.

b) Very little information in last step (privileges tree). First of all
there are no such resource group as "all vm guest images", even if it would
be created what should be assigned to it? What kind of permissions should be
given, mostly possible, all?

c) What about images location? I have running DB, Web, VCLD. All running
fine. I can connect to VMWare Windows XP via ssh, vcl.key was generated
fine. As I understand I should put somwhere VMWare image files that VCLD
could find them, don't I? (Using VMWare Server GSX 1.0.X)

d) Don't know if this is a bug, but I can't change computers IP via web. It
always returns old IP after change.

Re: First time (setting up testing environment)

Posted by David Abdurachmanov <da...@gmail.com>.
On 2010.06.08, at 20:55, Josh Thompson wrote:

> On Tuesday June 08, 2010, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
>> On 2010.06.08, at 19:29, Josh Thompson wrote:
>>> David,

>>> We already have a JIRA issue created to address that the code is not
>>> compatible with PHP 5.3.  The next release (which will hopefully be out
>>> in July) will work with PHP 5.3.

>>> Can you provide the URLs for this page?  We're working to improve our
>>> documentation.
>>
>> There was a note in INSTALLATION file that if you are using VMWare, you
>> should set state to "virtualmachine" and if left state to "available"
>> website brings error (red next near state) that virtual machine can only
>> be added in "maintenance" state. At that time I was using SVN trunk (my
>> fault).
>>
>>> Adding a computer in the maintenance state is a bug that will also be
>>> fixed in the next release.  The workaround is to add it in the available
>>> state and then change it to the maintenance state after it has been
>>> added.

>>> You want to select "VMware Server GSX" to use with VMWare Server 1.0.X.
>>> In the past, "VMWare GSX" was the name for "VMWare Server".
>>
>> After some reading I found that. I think VMWare 2.X is not supported at
>> this time?
>
> Correct - it will be supported in the next release.

>>> The error in the email you linked to is in computers.php.  So, I'm
>>> guessing you're just saying you see something similar.  Where did you get
>>> the VCL code (2.1 release, subversion. other)?  Line 148 in requests.php
>>> in the 2.1 code is a simple print statement that wouldn't cause an error.
>>
>> My bad, I was too quick. This error is in trunk version. In printed very
>> similar array from PHP.
>>
>> There is more, NewSID tool is retired and no more supported. Link:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx in
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Management+Node+Installati
>> on is no more valid.
>
> Yeah, I just discovered that today as well.  I'm not yet sure how we'll handle
> that.

Reading Mark Russinovich blog post about why tool is discontinued is the best place to start.

>> Is it possible to run the whole system in standalone environment? As I
>> understand you must have two interfaces (eth0, eth1), public and private?
>> Is it possible for testing purpose run everything on single interface or
>> use loop-back interface, sub-interfaces? I was trying to follow the
>> articles, but after getting VCL running and VMWare Server installed there
>> seems to be very little documentation how to make everything work.
>
> I hesitate to mention this because it can be tricky to set up, but you can
> follow these instructions:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VMware+VCL+Environment
>
> to set up a standalone environment using vmware.  Please note the disclaimer
> at the top of the page stating that it is not for setting up a production
> environment.

I was trying to follow this manual, but as I said I am not quite sure what to do with network interfaces, especially when only eth0 is available on my system (apart loopback). Tomorrow morning I am resuming testing, I might be able to ask more concrete questions.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

>  understand you must have two interfaces (eth0, eth1), public and private?
>  Is it possible for testing purpose run everything on single interface or
>  use loop-back interface, sub-interfaces? I was trying to follow the
>  articles, but after getting VCL running and VMWare Server installed there
>  seems to be very little documentation how to make everything work.

I hesitate to mention this because it can be tricky to set up, but you can
follow these instructions:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VMware+VCL+Environment

to set up a standalone environment using vmware.  Please note the disclaimer
at the top of the page stating that it is not for setting up a production
environment.

> >> Maybe someone could via IM help me out to set VCL testing environment?

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: First time (setting up testing environment)

Posted by David Abdurachmanov <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

David,

On Saturday June 05, 2010, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup testing environment on one virtual machine to check
>  out VCL and more clearly understand how it works, but I find documentation
>  not that good.
>
> First of all, Only PHP 5.0 - 5.2 might work, PHP 5.3 have some deprecated
>  functions removed and VCL website does not work properly.

We already have a JIRA issue created to address that the code is not
compatible with PHP 5.3.  The next release (which will hopefully be out in
July) will work with PHP 5.3.

> There was a note that you should never add computer with "maintenance"
>  state, but VCL website says, that's all VM can only be added in
>  "maintenance" state.

Can you provide the URLs for this page?  We're working to improve our
documentation.

Adding a computer in the maintenance state is a bug that will also be fixed in
the next release.  The workaround is to add it in the available state and then
change it to the maintenance state after it has been added.

> Next thing there is not such Provisioning Engine as "VMWare Server
>  Provisioning", only VMWare ESX or VMWare Server GSX. And I would like to
>  use VMWare Server 1.0.X version.

You want to select "VMware Server GSX" to use with VMWare Server 1.0.X.  In
the past, "VMWare GSX" was the name for "VMWare Server".

> When going to "New Reservation" after DB, Website and VCLD is running I get
>  error in ./ht-inc/requests.php (line 148) and some full array is printed.
>  (This problem:
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00647.html)

The error in the email you linked to is in computers.php.  So, I'm guessing
you're just saying you see something similar.  Where did you get the VCL code
(2.1 release, subversion. other)?  Line 148 in requests.php in the 2.1 code is
a simple print statement that wouldn't cause an error.

> Maybe someone could via IM help me out to set VCL testing environment?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David

Josh
- --