Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID> on 2020/06/01 19:14:13 UTC

wrong FX architecture prompt

I posted this in the voting thread (mea culpa). Can anybody reproduce
it? Is it a concern? Otherwise, I'll go ahead with my +1.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: wrong FX architecture prompt

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I didn't see that problem myself and wouldn't think it a blocker if I did.
:-)

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 13:01, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
> Where is this documented? Shouldn't it be in the vote email?

Probably.  The differences are really minor, but it's the second time
something has come up about it.  If you want to replicate the binary
zip build from the source, which we probably do for voting, then yes
we probably should consider this in the voting emails.  Running from
nbbuild/netbeans in particular will not ask to install JavaFX at all
in some workflows (because it's already there), which would be a
blocker if the binary zip behaved similarly.  And in other workflows
it's obviously started suggesting the wrong architecture. :-)

> From apache.netbeans.org, you can click "installed" (in the "Cross
> Platform" box) and click "Find out more" under "Daily builds and
> building from source", but the "For details, go here:" link says to
> build using just "ant".

Which page?  This page does, although could probably be improved -

https://netbeans.apache.org/download/dev/index.html

> A Google search brought me to here:
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/README.md
> (which also doesn't say "ant build").

Yes, maybe should mention there.  Or we change the default ant task
back to build.  The key thing is that the contents of nbbuild/netbeans
are not exactly the same as the binary artefact we distribute, and
that may trip people up.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: wrong FX architecture prompt

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 6/2/20 3:55 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
>> I would recommend using ant build and then extracting the zip to test the release. I changed some of the related documentation along these lines during 11.2. There are some subtle differences.
>>
>> IIRC you have an extras folder in bin/netbeans? This will already have the JavaFX modules in it. I wonder if that's the root cause of the different behaviour?
>
> OK, so had time to test, and existence of the extras folder appears to
> be the trigger.
>
> Another reason to always use `ant build` (not the default task!) and
> extract the zip to test the release build.

Built with "ant -Dpermit.jdk9.builds=true build".
Unzipped
nbbuild/NetBeans-dev-12.0-631bd69cd6112b1cc4c892c24e3e605b1ba04241-release.zip
and ran netbeans/bin/netbeans.
Problem does not appear.

Where is this documented? Shouldn't it be in the vote email?

From apache.netbeans.org, you can click "installed" (in the "Cross

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 23:07, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, 22:49 Glenn Holmer, <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> > Out of interest, how did you build - ant or ant build? And how did you run
>> > it after build? From the zip?
>>
>> ant -Dpermit.jdk9.builds=true
>> nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans
>

> I would recommend using ant build and then extracting the zip to test the release. I changed some of the related documentation along these lines during 11.2. There are some subtle differences.
>
> IIRC you have an extras folder in bin/netbeans? This will already have the JavaFX modules in it. I wonder if that's the root cause of the different behaviour?

OK, so had time to test, and existence of the extras folder appears to
be the trigger.

Another reason to always use `ant build` (not the default task!) and
extract the zip to test the release build.

Maybe we shouldn't default to build-nozip either?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: wrong FX architecture prompt

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 6/1/20 2:44 PM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, 20:14 Glenn Holmer, <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I posted this in the voting thread (mea culpa). Can anybody reproduce
>> it? Is it a concern? Otherwise, I'll go ahead with my +1.
>>
> Yes, and no. Matthias mentioned it here. It should be just a cosmetic issue
> in that the right thing will install, but be interesting to know if you
> have a workflow that triggers it consistently?

Just as I described. I tried it again just now, and got the "JavaFX
Implementation for Windows" prompt, as Matthias reported. Interestingly,
when I used the convenience binary instead of the build from source, it
correctly said "Linux".

If Yarda says it's a "very low priority UI issue", I'll proceed with my
vote.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, 20:14 Glenn Holmer, <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:

> I posted this in the voting thread (mea culpa). Can anybody reproduce
> it? Is it a concern? Otherwise, I'll go ahead with my +1.

Yes, and no. Matthias mentioned it here. It should be just a cosmetic issue
in that the right thing will install, but be interesting to know if you
have a workflow that triggers it consistently?

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2135#issuecomment-630986886

Best wishes,

Neil