Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Joan Balagueró <jo...@grupoventus.com> on 2007/03/23 11:24:30 UTC

PROBLEM WITH setMaxTotalConnections

Hi,

I’m trying to limit the total number of http connections in my httpclient
instance. I’m using a multithreaded http connection manager. The code is the
following:

   HttpClient objHttp = new HttpClient(new
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager());

   objHttp.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setMaxTotalConnections(1);

objHttp.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setConnectionTimeout(connecti
onTimeout);

objHttp.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setSoTimeout(responseTimeout)
;

objHttp.getHttpConnectionManager().getParams().setStaleCheckingEnabled(true)
;

   objHttp.getParams().setCookiePolicy(CookiePolicy.RFC_2109);

This is part of a servlet that receives a request and sends an http request
to another server using this httpclient. As you can see, I’m limiting the
total number to 1 in order to make a test.

But, if I send to this servlet many simultaneous requests (10 or more), no
errors happens and httpclient opens 10 (or more) http connections, ignoring
my limit of 1.

I suppose that I’m misunderstanding something, but I don’t know what. Can
anybody help me?

Thanks,

Joan.