Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Lothar Haeger <lo...@brummelhook.com> on 2018/10/26 08:33:58 UTC

Why is use of the ManageDsaIT control in Studio optional and disabled by default?

In connection properties - browser options there's a checkbox allowing to
enable use of the ManageDsaIT control while browseing and the mouse-hover
description text says, using it requires the LDAP server to support this
control (which is kind of obvious).
Now why does Studio allow (and require) me to enable this manually instead of
looking at the root DSE and enable it if supported and not use it when not?
Just nobody coded this yet or is there a good reason NOT to use the ManageDsaIT
control even if the server supports it? Does it make any difference in
performance or functionality?

Re: Why is use of the ManageDsaIT control in Studio optional and disabled by default?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi !

Le 26/10/2018 à 10:33, Lothar Haeger a écrit :
> In connection properties - browser options there's a checkbox allowing to
> enable use of the ManageDsaIT control while browseing and the mouse-hover
> description text says, using it requires the LDAP server to support this
> control (which is kind of obvious).
> Now why does Studio allow (and require) me to enable this manually instead of
> looking at the root DSE and enable it if supported and not use it when not?
> Just nobody coded this yet or is there a good reason NOT to use the ManageDsaIT
> control even if the server supports it?

This control modifies the way the server processes the requests in a way
that aren't suitable for most of the client usages. Typically, if you
use referrals, then a search request with the manageDSAIT control will
*not* return a referal response, and will instead return entries with
referrals as a normal entry.

Actually, this control is mainly used when you want to manage special
entries in the server. This will typically be used to modify referrals,
something you won't be able to do without the control.

You would learn more about it by ready the (arid) RFC 3296
(https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3296.txt)

Hope it helps.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny