Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2000/12/19 04:49:17 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

>   +
>   +    * toss the AddModule directive. we add all prelinked modules
>   +      automatically, and the LoadModule directive now implies
>   +      AddModule. so... there is no point to it any more.

This is actually not true.  There is still a minor use for the AddModule
directive.  If there are multiple modules, which do not have a hard and
set order dependance, then AddModule can and should be used to order the
modules correctly.  I had originally thought this could be removed as
well, but I no longer believe this is true.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: AddModule (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > This is actually not true.  There is still a minor use for the AddModule
> > directive.  If there are multiple modules, which do not have a hard and
> > set order dependance, then AddModule can and should be used to order the
> > modules correctly.  I had originally thought this could be removed as
> > well, but I no longer believe this is true.
>
> We add them all at startup time. That certainly doesn't obey any particular
> ordering whatsoever. :-)

That's what ClearModuleList is for.  :-)

> Can you specify a case where the ordering must be controlled with the use of
> AddModule? I thought we were past that now.

mod_auth_db and mod_auth.

mod_rewrite and mod_proxy.

I could come up with more if pressed.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

AddModule (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 07:49:17PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> >   +
> >   +    * toss the AddModule directive. we add all prelinked modules
> >   +      automatically, and the LoadModule directive now implies
> >   +      AddModule. so... there is no point to it any more.
>
> This is actually not true.  There is still a minor use for the AddModule
> directive.  If there are multiple modules, which do not have a hard and
> set order dependance, then AddModule can and should be used to order the
> modules correctly.  I had originally thought this could be removed as
> well, but I no longer believe this is true.

We add them all at startup time. That certainly doesn't obey any particular
ordering whatsoever. :-)

Can you specify a case where the ordering must be controlled with the use of
AddModule? I thought we were past that now.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/