Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Holger Schulz <qd...@gmx.net> on 2008/05/14 19:46:03 UTC

Compression?

Is there any compression active? I have a repository of 200 MB, a dump
of that repository is about 270 MB. A working copy has mor than 500 MB?

How save is my data within that repository?

Thanks

hs

Re: Compression?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 18, 2008, at 03:14, Holger Schulz wrote:

>>> How save is my data within that repository?
>>
>> I'm confident that my data is safe in my Subversion repositories.
>> Of course a good backup plan is essential when using any software.
>
> Well, yes, usually I store a current working copy as well as a dump
> of the repository as backup. In case the repository should be
> damaged I still have the working copy an can continue working with
> it. The pristine copies aren't useful in a backup, are they?
>
> Can I use "svn export" to produce a copy without the pristine
> stuff? Perhaps this can be useful for a backup.

I was just thinking of repository backups. So you may want a periodic
dump of the entire repository, plus incremental dumps of the just-
committed revision in the post-commit hook. Maybe you want hotbackups
as well.

You should be committing after every logical change, so if your
working copy is lost or corrupted, you would only lose whatever you
were currently working on. But there can be value in backup up
working copies as well, if you want to protect against that. I would
expect you would want to back up the entire working copy (not an
export of the working copy) so that you could use "svn diff" to see
the differences, and if the repository is still around, "svn commit"
to commit the changes, if desired.

Re: Compression?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> writes:
> Holger Schulz <qd...@gmx.net> writes:
>> Can I use "svn export" to produce a copy without the pristine stuff?
>> Perhaps this can be useful for a backup.
>
> Yes.

...although, it won't have any Subversion properties, and of course
keywords and end-of-line styles may be expanded/translated.  Whether
that's an issue for you depends on what you're trying to do.

Re: Compression?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Re: Compression?

Posted by Holger Schulz <qd...@gmx.net>.
Am 2008-05-15 um 07:52 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> A working copy has a "pristine" copy of every file, and some other
> administrative data, so it should be a little more than double the
> size you might otherwise expect. The working copy has no
> compression, though there is a ticket open requesting that this
> feature be added. There is another ticket open requesting the
> possibility to have a working copy with no pristine copies.

Okay, thanks, I understand.

>> How save is my data within that repository?
>
> I'm confident that my data is safe in my Subversion repositories. Of
> course a good backup plan is essential when using any software.

Well, yes, usually I store a current working copy as well as a dump of
the repository as backup. In case the repository should be damaged I
still have the working copy an can continue working with it. The
pristine copies aren't useful in a backup, are they?

Can I use "svn export" to produce a copy without the pristine stuff?
Perhaps this can be useful for a backup.

Thanks.

hs

Re: Compression?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 14, 2008, at 14:46, Holger Schulz wrote:

> Is there any compression active? I have a repository of 200 MB, a
> dump of that repository is about 270 MB. A working copy has mor
> than 500 MB?

The repository does store revisions compressed, and for each
revision, stores only the differences to a previous revision (though
not necessarily the immediately preceding revision; see the
documentation on the skip-deltas algorithm).

A dump file can contain each revision in full text or as a diff
against the previous version, which can give you greatly different
dump file sizes. I would expect a dumpfile to generally be larger
than the corresponding repository. Different versions of Subversion
have different compression in the repository. Subversion 1.4 and
later has better compression I believe. So if you dump a pre-1.4
repository and load it into Subversion 1.4 or later, the new
repository may be smaller on disk.

Re: Compression?

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Holger> Is there any compression active? I have a repository of 200
 Holger> MB, a dump of that repository is about 270 MB. A working copy
 Holger> has mor than 500 MB?

 Holger> How save is my data within that repository?

How many revisions?

I don't know about compression, but a working copy contains two copies
of every file -- the one you see and change, and the hidden one that
is used for diff and revert and the like.  So if you don't have a
whole lot of revisions, a working copy larger than the repository is
perfectly normal.

	  paul