Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/08 17:53:12 UTC

[Git] drop SVN repos for components using Git?

Is there any point in keeping the SVN repos for components that have
moved to Git?

They are read-only (or should be) and are not synchronised with the
Git repo, so they can be confusing.

If there is a need to keep them, they should be renamed so people
cannot accidentally use them.

It might be an idea to keep just a README file pointing to the Git
repo, but I think the contents should be dropped, or perhaps moved
under commons/Git, at least temporarily.

Re: [Git] drop SVN repos for components using Git?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Poms cannot be changed *after* release.

No, but you can release a new one.

> There may even be some CVS references in early POMs; that does not
> mean the ASF has not migrated away from CVS.

Quite so. And I can't remember a single case where that proved to be a problem.

Jochen

--
Any world that can produce the Taj Mahal, William Shakespeare,
and Stripe toothpaste can't be all bad. (C.R. MacNamara, One Two Three)

Re: [Git] drop SVN repos for components using Git?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: [Git] drop SVN repos for components using Git?

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
If I recall correctly, when the Jenkins project migrated all its repositories from SVN to Git, the repositories were a) made read-only, b) emptied and its content replaced by a README file with the link to the new repo and, after some time, c) deleted.
Bruno

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [Git] drop SVN repos for components using Git?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.