Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2014/04/08 01:15:57 UTC

Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Guys,

As some of you might have noticed there is a number of new JIRAs opened
recently that are aiming on abstracting and separating ZK out of HBase guts
and making it an implementation detail, rather than a center of attention
for some parts of the HBase.

I would like to send around a short document written by Mikhail Antonov that
is trying to clarify a couple of points about this whole effort.
People are asking me about this off-line, so I decided to send this around so
we can have a lively and wider discussion about this initiative and the
development.

Here's the JIRA and the link to the PDF document.
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12637957/HBaseConsensus.pdf

The umbrella JIRA for this effort is here

Regardsk
  Cos

Re: Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Ted, thanks for the comments on Jira.

I will put this on shared google doc and send out link as you guys advised
so it'd be easier to collaborate on.

Mikhail

Michael Antonov

Re: Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
The google doc has been looked at by quite a few guys, I think.

I'm about to create some more jiras around abstracting ZooKeeper, and would
really appreciate if someone has specific comments on the section of
document outlining the steps to abstract ZK - to check some important
pieces aren't forgotten.

Michael Antonov

Re: Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I put some comments on HBASE-10909 after reading the updated proposal.

Using Google Docs would make review process smooth.

Cheers

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

attached is a reworked version of this document which includes:

   - "starting fresh" approach to consensus operations in HBase
   - benefits it could bring
   - code pointers and list of modifications required to abstract ZK

I'd appreciate review and feedbacks! The document is also attached to
HBASE-10909 for reference and comments.

Thanks,

Mikhail

> Guys,
>
> as was advised, I moved the PDF document to umbrella jira, here -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10909.
>
> Thanks,
> Mikhail

> Hi Cos,
>>
>> Thanks for providing this overview, and more importantly, considering
>> these
>> contributions. Reading through the relevant JIRAs, looks to me like HBase
>> will be in a better position than before to have this abstraction in
>> place,
>> provided the changes are fully completed.
>>
>> Thanks again for the kind consideration.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Guys,
>> >
>> > As some of you might have noticed there is a number of new JIRAs opened
>> > recently that are aiming on abstracting and separating ZK out of HBase
>> guts
>> > and making it an implementation detail, rather than a center of
>> attention
>> > for some parts of the HBase.
>> >
>> > I would like to send around a short document written by Mikhail Antonov
>> > that
>> > is trying to clarify a couple of points about this whole effort.
>> > People are asking me about this off-line, so I decided to send this
>> around
>> > so
>> > we can have a lively and wider discussion about this initiative and the
>> > development.
>> >
>> > Here's the JIRA and the link to the PDF document.
>> >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10866
>> >

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12637957/HBaseConsensus.pdf
>> >
>> > The umbrella JIRA for this effort is here
>> >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10909
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regardsk
>> >   Cos
>> >

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy

>> (via Tom White)

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

as was advised, I moved the PDF document to umbrella jira, here -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10909.

Thanks,
Mikhail

> Hi Cos,
>
> Thanks for providing this overview, and more importantly, considering these
> contributions. Reading through the relevant JIRAs, looks to me like HBase
> will be in a better position than before to have this abstraction in place,
> provided the changes are fully completed.
>
> Thanks again for the kind consideration.
>

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > As some of you might have noticed there is a number of new JIRAs opened
> > recently that are aiming on abstracting and separating ZK out of HBase
> guts
> > and making it an implementation detail, rather than a center of attention
> > for some parts of the HBase.
> >
> > I would like to send around a short document written by Mikhail Antonov
> > that
> > is trying to clarify a couple of points about this whole effort.
> > People are asking me about this off-line, so I decided to send this
> around
> > so
> > we can have a lively and wider discussion about this initiative and the
> > development.
> >
> > Here's the JIRA and the link to the PDF document.
> >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10866
> >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12637957/HBaseConsensus.pdf
> >
> > The umbrella JIRA for this effort is here
> >   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10909
> >
> > --
> > Regardsk
> >   Cos
> >

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy

> (via Tom White)

Michael Antonov

Re: Bringing consensus based strong consistency into HBase

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Cos,

--
Best regards,