Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net> on 2005/05/12 20:01:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem moving websites

I'm trying to move some websites from one host to another. I thought I had
the hosts setup the same but when I try to view the site on the new host I
get the following message:

core-project owned your b0x.. SAVE YOUR BOX....

This sounds horrible.

I've checked vhosts.conf, permissions, etc but I'm not seeing my error. I've
googled for the message but nothing there helped.

I get the same message when I go to the ip address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: [users@httpd] Problem moving websites

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
>> core-project owned your b0x.. SAVE YOUR BOX....

Forget about the website.  Forget about Apache.

Wipe and re-format the disc and reinstall the operating system,
taking proper care of your security.

The above is most likely a bluff: someone just exploited
a dumb script to deface your pages.  But unless you *know*
(and can prove) that, the assumption has to be that they
*may* have root access to the server, and it's now a zombie,
ready for them to take control whenever they choose.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Problem moving websites

Posted by Chris Winfield-Blum <ch...@leadingside.com>.
You can try to check your log files and if you have iptables with some
logging setup perhaps there is something in there.

your biggest priority firstly should be to lockdown this system.

is firewall on?
have u disabled unrequired services
are your file permissions set to give access to the wrong people.

Once that is done then I would suggest a reformat. sounds extreme but it
is. it is quite hard for you to really know exactly what the intruder
got into to or what they left behind. they may have left scripts or
other nasties behind that they can use to gain access later.

Chris

Posted by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net>.

Posted by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net>.

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.