Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Fritchey <tj...@mindspring.com> on 2008/12/11 20:54:42 UTC

SVNAdmin Verify sends output to stderr

All,

I'm observing svnadmin verify sending output to stderr even when there are no errors and the exit code is success (0).  Would someone please confirm this behavior?  I am running svnadmin.exe v1.5.4.33841 under Windows XP Pro SP2.  Furthermore, is this a bug (reoccurrence of issue 1997?) or is this behavior intentional?

Thanks,
-Tom

RE: SVNAdmin Verify sends output to stderr

Posted by bl...@reality.earth.sol.mway.universe.net.
ran into this today myself and noticed your post and an almost identical one a few years back, both without replies.

i have begun dealing with it by folding stderr into the same stream as stdout: msh supports the same hacky syntax that unix shells use: 2>&1 (i guess 2> means redirect stderr and &1 is magic which means stdout).

this has led to messiness in the output stream, well intended, no doubt. :)

e.g. "* Revision 0 verifiziert." expands to:

svnadmin.exe : * Revision 0 verifiziert.
At E:\Svn\maint_scripts\CopySvnHotcopyToLocalAndVerify.ps1:37 char:10
+     svnadmin  <<<< verify ${dest} 2>&1 | Out-File ${verifyLog}

but presumably there is magic to deal with this as well. (perhaps it is a side-effect of stderr and stdout being object (rather than character) streams in powershell, and the moment i stringify them naively i get "useful stuff" i might otherwise lose.

cheers,

Tim