Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jaromir Hamala <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/13 14:29:18 UTC

Buffering in Console Appender?

Hello,

I wonder whether log4j could add (optional) buffering into the Console
Appender.
I believe it could be useful e.g. when the stdout is redirected to a file
(think of Maven Surefire), etc.

Would you accept a patch adding this?

Cheers,
Jaromir

--
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.”

Re: Buffering in Console Appender?

Posted by Jaromir Hamala <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mikael,

this fix was already merged
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-surefire.git;a=commit;h=9c0025ed53d70c06279fef6c0fc30a54aeeab27b>
into Surefire. It made a massive difference difference in our cases: as
confirmed by both data from Java Flight Recorder and real-world experience
(build stability).

I guess in our case the effect was amplified by the fact our Continuous
Integration runs on AWS where:
1. I/O is rather slow in general
2. EC2 instance have certain number of "burst I/O credits" <- when they are
exhausted then I/O becomes dog-slow.

Cheers,
Jaromir

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.