Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Whitmire, Jeffrey" <Je...@usa.xerox.com> on 2003/03/10 22:07:29 UTC

ActionServlet Action caching problem

I've got a weird one.  I'm hoping that somebody else has encountered this
before and can help.  We are in the midst of load testing our app before
rolling it out to production.  I have one action class (only one) that
starts failing well over an hour into the test.

It appears that the instance of that action class cached by the
ActionServlet becomes invalid.  I can see no reason why the change in
behaviour, but at some point the RequestProcessor gets an instance to the
Action that is no longer valid.  It is not null, but it never executes it.
The rest of the app works perfectly, but that button (tied to that specific
Action) never works again until the tomcat instance is restarted.  It just
hangs, and the last indication in the log is the RequestProcessor finding
and returning an instance of that action class.

Has anyone ever had problems with Action instances going stale?  or some
other config problem that could cause this?

Thanks, I'm a bit desparate,
Jeff.

Re: ActionServlet Action caching problem

Posted by "nash e. foster" <nf...@trusecure.com>.
I've had problems with references to beans on instance variables in an
Action object getting stale. I'm on Jboss and in my experience the
stale references hork a nice fat RMI exception. Can you turn debug
logging on in your execute / perform method and see if that's ever
getting called? In my case, it always was. My  issue relates to Action
objects hanging around after a session bean has been removed or
passivated by the EJB container. It would be really nice if someone
decided to implement a "timeout" on the Action objects so that if they
were older than a certain age, they wouldn't be used.

Don't know if we're seeing the same behavior from different angles or
not.

ciao,

	-nash

On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 04:07  PM, Whitmire, Jeffrey wrote:

> I've got a weird one.  I'm hoping that somebody else has encountered
> this
> before and can help.  We are in the midst of load testing our app
> before
> rolling it out to production.  I have one action class (only one) that
> starts failing well over an hour into the test.
>
> It appears that the instance of that action class cached by the
> ActionServlet becomes invalid.  I can see no reason why the change in
> behaviour, but at some point the RequestProcessor gets an instance to
> the
> Action that is no longer valid.  It is not null, but it never executes
> it.
> The rest of the app works perfectly, but that button (tied to that
> specific
> Action) never works again until the tomcat instance is restarted.  It
> just
> hangs, and the last indication in the log is the RequestProcessor
> finding
> and returning an instance of that action class.
>
> Has anyone ever had problems with Action instances going stale?  or
> some
> other config problem that could cause this?
>
> Thanks, I'm a bit desparate,
> Jeff.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.