Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2021/05/19 19:28:05 UTC

#tomcat on Freenode?

Hi all,

I was just notified about some mess going on with Freenode which has
seemingly resulted in a mass exodus of users from the freenode servers.
There are some updates available at
https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409/ which
make it seem like we should no longer point users to #tomcat on freenode
(we point to it on https://tomcat.apache.org/irc.html).

Should we take any action on that, like remove the page or update it to
point to https://libera.chat/ after we establish a channel there? I'm not
sure how much value there is/was in the freenode channel because questions
are so infrequent, so we may be able to safely drop the reference.

Thanks,
Coty

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Coty,

On 9/15/21 10:08, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been quite a while now and all of the communities that I'm a part of
> have moved from Freenode to Libera.Chat at this point. I can't even access
> Freenode now without jumping through some hoops to get new credentials, so
> I'm definitely not doing that. Some users in #tomcat on libera.chat have
> pointed out that we still reference Freenode from our project page even
> though none of us are there anymore. Should we just remove the irc page at
> this point? Or do we want to update it to point to libera.chat? If there
> are no objections, I'll just update the reference.

+1 to updating the reference to point to Libra.Chat.

-chris

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Coty,

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 4:24 AM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> We should probably drop the IRC page and focus on the mailing lists for the
> website (they are the only official channel). A wiki page can mention other
> things like Slack.

Yeah, I like that idea. Let's drop the IRC page and add an entry for
libera.chat (there are a few people in #tomcat on there now) and later when
a Slack channel is created we can add it there too.

I'll leave it in case anyone has any other comments, and will remove
irc.html from the site next week.

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:57 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/05/2021 20:28, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was just notified about some mess going on with Freenode which has
> > seemingly resulted in a mass exodus of users from the freenode servers.
> > There are some updates available at
> > https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409/ which
> > make it seem like we should no longer point users to #tomcat on freenode
> > (we point to it on https://tomcat.apache.org/irc.html).
> >
> > Should we take any action on that, like remove the page or update it to
> > point to https://libera.chat/ after we establish a channel there? I'm
> not
> > sure how much value there is/was in the freenode channel because
> questions
> > are so infrequent, so we may be able to safely drop the reference.
>
> +1 to removing the freenode link
>
> If we replace it, I'd be happy with https://libera.chat/ but like you I
> wonder if we need it at all. We should probably add the Slack channel
> somewhere too.

We should probably drop the IRC page and focus on the mailing lists for the
website (they are the only official channel). A wiki page can mention other
things like Slack.

Rémy

Re: #tomcat on Freenode?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.