Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/05/16 20:49:24 UTC

0.5 incubating release

Hi,

Given the growing interest in users trying to write Tez jobs, it may make
sense to expedite a 0.5 release as soon as possible in order to have a
stable vehicle by which we can release the Ease of Use work being tracked
by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. This will enable users to
start writing their code from a much cleaner base. While API’s and helpers
will keep evolving, the 0.5 release is trying to target user feedback about
the most painful parts of writing code against the API’s.

On this note, let us all take some time and examine the sub-tasks of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. Please add any items that
are currently missing. Please mark critical usability jiras with target
version 0.5 so that we can focus on them before the release. Please also
help out by picking up the critical jiras and providing patches.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bikas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the sharing, Hitesh. Then I think we can upgrade the
dependency right now.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding.

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
+1(non-binding) for having effort to stabilize APIs quickly.

> The timeline server change will move the  hadoop dependency to 2.4.0 - is that a concern for anyone?

Hitesh, I'd like to +1 for upgrading the dependency itself. One
concern is that 2.4.0 includes compatibility issue - YARN-1931.
If it affects Tez's code base, we should wait for 2.4.1 release. IIUC,
there are blocking issues of 2.4.1 now, so it's coming soon.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Given the growing interest in users trying to write Tez jobs, it may make
> sense to expedite a 0.5 release as soon as possible in order to have a
> stable vehicle by which we can release the Ease of Use work being tracked
> by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. This will enable users to
> start writing their code from a much cleaner base. While API’s and helpers
> will keep evolving, the 0.5 release is trying to target user feedback about
> the most painful parts of writing code against the API’s.
>

> On this note, let us all take some time and examine the sub-tasks of
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. Please add any items that
> are currently missing. Please mark critical usability jiras with target
> version 0.5 so that we can focus on them before the release. Please also
> help out by picking up the critical jiras and providing patches.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Bikas
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

- Tsuyoshi

RE: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
Please open jiras under TEZ-690 for these suggestions.

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Very good proposal.
I have few in my name I will work with those.

Regards,
Mohammad

On Friday, June 6, 2014 10:29 AM, Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sure! Thanks for sharing, Bikas.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

- Tsuyoshi

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Sure! Thanks for sharing, Bikas.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Folks, there is increasing interest in trying out Tez. Lets us rally around
> and get the remaining jiras under TEZ-690 resolved so that we can make a
> good 0.5 release.
>
> Please
> 1) pick up some jiras under TEZ-690 and fix them
> 2) Add more items under TEZ-690 for missing stuff
>
> Thanks
> Bikas

- Tsuyoshi

RE: 0.5 incubating release

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.5 incubating release

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
Also, I just noticed that sources for the snapshots aren’t downloaded. Perhaps they are not published. That would not be good when trying to address dev productivity, so it needs to be addressed.
Oleg

On May 16, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 to get the usability changes to users quickly.
>
> I would also like to get the YARN timeline server integration and staging directory cleanup as part of the 0.5.0 release and will update jiras accordingly ( assuming no one has any concerns ). The timeline server change will move the  hadoop dependency to 2.4.0 - is that a concern for anyone? However, there will still remain a capability to compile against hadoop-2.2 ( but the default will change to 2.4 ) .
>
> We should also look at making this release with convenience binary artifacts. This will require some work to get the NOTICE and LICENSE files for the binary tar ball correctly setup.
>
> — Hitesh
>

> On May 16, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Given the growing interest in users trying to write Tez jobs, it may make
>> sense to expedite a 0.5 release as soon as possible in order to have a
>> stable vehicle by which we can release the Ease of Use work being tracked
>> by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. This will enable users to
>> start writing their code from a much cleaner base. While API’s and helpers
>> will keep evolving, the 0.5 release is trying to target user feedback about
>> the most painful parts of writing code against the API’s.
>>

>> On this note, let us all take some time and examine the sub-tasks of
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. Please add any items that
>> are currently missing. Please mark critical usability jiras with target
>> version 0.5 so that we can focus on them before the release. Please also
>> help out by picking up the critical jiras and providing patches.
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bikas
>>
>> --