Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/21 14:43:05 UTC

Developing an a programme like excel

    I am having problem designing a module.Can anybody help me

Requirement:

This is basically an agricultural project (web application).I need to
design module where some calcuation takes place.
There are differnt crops invovled like maize,tomato,okra etc.Now each of
these crops have different traits.
Each trait has a mesurament scale which lies in integer like 200-1000.now
let say i have planted the crop and
done measurement noted down the traits.Now i want to do some sort of
measurement.Some measurements are simple and some are
complex.

Lets take an example of crop maize.I have recored observations for 15
trait.(trait1.. trait15 are just alias the acutal name can be like
plt_ht,yld)
trait1 trait2 trait3 trait4 trait5 trait6..... trait15

i have recorded 5 observations for each traits
trait1 trait2 trait3 trait5 trait6..... trait15
01,02,03,04 01,02,03,04 01,02,03,04

User logs into system and selects his crops and enters data for these
observation i either have to calculate average of those data entered for
each or sum of those.
This is simple but complexity comes when for some of the tratis i have some
different formulas. Like lets take an example let say a trait YLD has a
formula based on which i have to caluate its value which may also depends
on some other traits .This way all differnet crops have different
traits.All this i am able to do whenever user selects crop i will check for
those specific traits and do calculations if it is not special trait then i
eaither avg it or sum it based on db entery but there is lot of hard coding
.I want to have some suggestion from you people if u can think of an better
way of handling this.

My code has to behave like excel but it is not excel .I have to write java
programme which reads data enetred in excel sheet and does calcuation like
excel.Each trait is mapped to columns in the sheet. And each crop can be
defined as worksheets. The formulas are equivalent to the excel formulas.

  Since user will enter data in excel adn uploads to my application can
also using some features provided by excel .Of course am usign apache poi
to generate excel for user to enter data

--
*Thanks & Regards
 Vickyb

*

Re: Developing an a programme like excel

Posted by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com>.
I have already implemented this in poi user will be given button to
download excel which will get generated using apache poi and once he enters
the data he will upload the excel which will be processed by servlet
actually excel is used more to carry data but i want to give more
responsibility to excel

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>wrote:

> Vicky, I do not think that you are posting this in the correct forum at
> all;
> a general Java programming forum would be a far better place for this
> question.
>
> The reason that I say this is that I cannot see where you will be using POI
> to create a file that is compatible with Excel. To me, it seems as though
> you will be creating a grid like structure that can be embedded into a web
> page and which has some capability to perform simple calculations on data
> entered into it's cells. At first glance, you would be using something like
> a JTable whose cells have listeners attached so that they can respond
> appropriately when the user enters data. A general Java programming forum
> will be able to answer all of your questions. Even if you were embedding
> Excel itself directly into a web page and using it to perform these tasks
> for you, this is still not the correct place to ask for help; a general
> Excel user forum will be able to help answer all of your questions in this
> case.

*Thanks & Regards
 Vickyb

*

Re: Developing an a programme like excel

Posted by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com>.
an old post just want u people to have fresh look