Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by John Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/06 00:57:33 UTC

Tapestry needs more marketing...

Matt Raible has published a comparison of Web Frameworks, and although
Tapestry came off ok (in his opinion), he points out some areas for
concern.
https://equinox.dev.java.net/framework-comparison/WebFrameworks.pdf

He lists the following cons:
• Documentation very conceptual, rather than pragmatic
• Steep learning curve - very few examples
• Impossible to test - page classes are abstract

Matt admits that he still hasn't surmounted the learning curve yet,
but he still says that he would use Tapestry if working on a massive
enterprise project because of its reusable components.

==

I think we need some judicious marketing efforts for Tapestry. When
you combine Eclipse, Spindle, and Mike's Palette you've got a great
development environment.  With better examples and more
articles/tutorials I think we can dramatically improve the learning
curve.  A good start would be for more people to start contributing to
the wiki.

No matter what happens with JSF, Tapestry can remain relevent if its
easy to learn and simplifies the creation of the presentation layer.

Re: Tapestry needs more marketing...

Posted by John Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com>.
Warner, I've checked out your examples and tutorials... great work and
keep going!

My TapestryTables.war and TapestryTrees.war seem to be generally
useful, but I am fishing around for the best way to make them more
accessable.  For the moment you can get them from a link on my
java.net blog: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/johnreynolds/archive/2004/10/tapestry_compon_1.html#more

Is there a process for adding new examples to the official distribution?

Which brings up something I am curious about with respect to the main
site...  It looks really bad that the Developers Guide is out of date
and the Users Guide is incomplete.  I'd like to help "complete" the
users guide, and I think that the Developer's guide should be
archived... it's still useful, but kind of scary to see that warning.

Also, why is Kevin Dorf's tutorial "External" documentation?  Is this
sort of stuff discouraged by Apache?

Tapestry Tutorial - Visit Object

Posted by FTP <ft...@atalos.com>.
when going through the tutorial and trying the "hangman" example, in the
"Home.java" class, the "Visit" Object is been used but not implemented!
Do I miss something here?

Thanks

Re: Tapestry needs more marketing...

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.