Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by mm...@vis.at on 2018/06/05 09:32:37 UTC

Single Host: Fix "Unknown CF" issue

Hi all!

We're using cassandra since a couple of month to get familiar with it.
We're currently using only 1-node. Yesterday our server had to be
restarted and now cassandra does not start anymore.

It reports:
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,030 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing system_schema.indexes
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,036 ViewManager.java:137 - Not
submitting build tasks for views in keyspace system_schema as storage
service is not initialized
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,283 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing system_traces.events
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,286 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing system_traces.sessions
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,287 ViewManager.java:137 - Not
submitting build tasks for views in keyspace system_traces as storage
service is not initialized
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,300 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing m2m_auth.user
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,302 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing m2m_auth.eventsbytag1
INFO  [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,306 ColumnFamilyStore.java:406 -
Initializing m2m_auth.mail2user
ERROR [main] 2018-06-05 09:50:43,311 CassandraDaemon.java:706 -
Exception encountered during startup
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown CF
0f6c8b36-5f34-11e8-a476-c93745f84272
         at
org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.getColumnFamilyStore(Keyspace.java:204)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at
org.apache.cassandra.db.view.ViewManager.addView(ViewManager.java:152)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at
org.apache.cassandra.db.view.ViewManager.reload(ViewManager.java:125)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.<init>(Keyspace.java:324)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.open(Keyspace.java:127)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.open(Keyspace.java:104)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:292)
[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:600)
[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
         at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:689)
[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]

We do not know how to bring it up again and e.g. stackoverflow only
recommends to delete the node and let it rebuild (which we cannot do as
we've only 1 node currently).
Can anybody drop us a hint ?

What can we do if our node does not start?

We've found an entry in the data directory with the given UUID but at
the time when we restarted the node the whole keyspace was idle for a
couple of hours.
With the problem we're now _very_ concerned about data safety when we
read that it can be a problem if e.g. tables are created/deleted/updated
concurrently. But in our case we did not create/update tables
concurrently and got this problem anyway....

Thanks for any help!

greetings,
Michael

Re: Single Host: Fix "Unknown CF" issue

Posted by mm...@vis.at.
Hi,

we will follow the recommendation not to use materialized views.

Thanks a lot to both of you!
You helped me a lot.

Oh and besides: We are also using the lagom framework :) So we will also
be able to regenerate a Read-Side if have to.

greetings,
Michael

Posted by Evelyn Smith <u5...@gmail.com>.
Hey Michael,

Posted by Pradeep Chhetri <pr...@stashaway.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Evelyn Smith <u5...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

So I looked at the code, here are some stages of your error message:
1. at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:292) [apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0
	At this step Cassandra is running through the keyspaces in it’s schema turning off compactions for all tables before it starts rerunning the commit log (so it isn’t an issue with the commit log).
2. at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.open(Keyspace.java:127) ~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
3. at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.<init>(Keyspace.java:324) ~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
	Cassandra has initialised the column family and is reloading the view
4. at org.apache.cassandra.db.Keyspace.getColumnFamilyStore(Keyspace.java:204) ~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
	At this point I haven’t had enough time to tell if Cassandra is requesting info on a column specifically or still requesting information on a column family. Regardless, given we already rule out issues with the SSTables and their directory and Cassandra is yet to start processing the commit log this to me suggests it’s something wrong in one of the system keyspaces storing the schema information.

There should definitely be a way to resolve this with zero data loss by either:
1. Fixing the issue in the system keyspace SSTables (hard)
2. Rerunning the commit log on a new Cassandra node that has been restored from the current one (I’m not sure if this is possible but I’ll figure it out tomorrow)

The alternative is if you are ok with losing the commitlog then you can backup the data and restore it to a new node (or the same node but with everything blown away). This isn’t a trivial process though I’ve done it a few times.

How important is the data?

Happy to come back to this tomorrow (need some sleep)

Regards,
Eevee.

> On 5 Jun 2018, at 7:32 pm, mm@vis.at wrote:
>
> Keyspace.getColumnFamilyStore

Re: Single Host: Fix "Unknown CF" issue

Posted by mm...@vis.at.
Hello Evelyn,

if we do what you say cassandra creates a new, empty column family
directory on restart and the stops with the same exception.

One point i forgot to mention is that we've still got data in the commit
log. (99.9% for other keyspaces).
Are there any tools which we can use to examine the sstable or the
commitlog files to dig further into this issue?

Or:
Can we setup a new cassandra installation and copy the data of the other
keyspacs to the new instance?

The column family which shows this error does not contain important
data. We're just very uncertain now what to do if this happens with
important data.
(ok - maybe this problem is not that important if we use a cluster of
e.g. 3 nodes and a replication factor of 2 - but it leaves a strange
impression about cassandra anyway).

greetings,
Michael

Posted by Evelyn Smith <u5...@gmail.com>.