Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by rjurney <ru...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/18 22:09:25 UTC

Re: [TinkerPop] Idea for Tutorial: Centralities

What is needed is an O'Reilly book titled 'Learning Gremlin.' That would
totally address the documentation problem.

The Getting Started tutorial is very helpful, but only gets you so far
(I've worked through it). What is needed are... lets say you pick 10 or 20
complex queries that do a good job of demonstrating what is possible with
gremlin. Common problems people need solved. And then walk the user
stepwise through how to compose and compute those metrics step-by-step,
learning a new technique each step, until the complex query to achieve the
task is completed. This would constitute the book I mention.

This would dramatically increase the adoption of Tinkerpop. Right now it
feels like less than ten people can actually use Gremlin to its full
potential, and you dole out little bits of insight into its workings on the
mailing list. The rest of us are not able to achieve general fluency in
Gremlin, even after a long time trying. I wish Datastax would commission
Learning Gremlin (or Learning Tinkerpop) with O'Reilly.