Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2001/12/03 12:19:51 UTC

Re: entity resolver project [was: Re: [vote] Accepting Entity Resolver Donation]

robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Thu Nov 29, 2001  11:35:59  Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > A while back, I talked to Norman Walsh (of Docbook fame, if you don't
> > know him) about making his entity resolver (or entity catalog)
> > implementation a full open source project, given the incredible need for
> > such a thing on XML-based applications (see recent talks on xml-dev
> > about XML portability, for example).
>
> entity resolver behaviour has for a long time been a source of newbie
> problems on many jakarta lists.

Yes, it has been so everywhere XML is used with a DTD.

> the default behaviour isn't very intuitive
> - people don't expect that xerces and crimson will attempt to load a DTD
> even when they arn't actually going to use it for validation. for people
> without the correct connection to the internet, it can be confusing to get
> a connection failure during a parse of a configuration file (for example).

Yup.

> there are potentially useful EntityResolver implementations (one from
> structs? was posted here a while ago) in jakarta which solve slightly
> different problems than the entity catelog seeks to address - but there
> doesn't seem to be enough critical mass to justify a jakarta commons
> project.

ok, thanks for the info.

> i think that it'd be very useful if norman's entity catelog could be
> accepted into xml.apache.org with a wider - rather than a narrower - remit
> to address broader entityresolver issues. of course, the catelog would be
> the core but other implementations (which solve other problems) could find
> a home there as well. also, questions on entity resolver issues could be
> redirected there from the lists at jakarta without any worries.

I totally agree with you. So, are you proposing a full sub-project under
xml.apache.org for that entity resolving code?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.