Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Todd Reed <tr...@astate.edu> on 2005/02/03 05:20:44 UTC

Anyone with Tomcat on FreeBSD 5.3

--SHORT VERSION
In a nutshell, I'm asking if there is someone that could shed some light
on the install process of Tomcat5 on FreeBSD 5.x

--MORE DETAILS
I am new to Tomcat with a need to serve JSP pages.  I have a basic
FreeBSD 5.3 box installed with a few security/system tweaks.  Also
installed is CVSup (with the latest ports collection), OpenSSL,
Chkrootkit, Portupgrade, gtar, unzip, zip, bash, wget, and gnuls.

All the docs I've found and read are for older versions of Tomcat4 and
lower.

Are there any docs or recommendations that go through an install of
Tomcat5 on FreeBSD 5.x?

So far, I've installed mod_jk2-apache2 from ports.  Apache2 works.  When
I attempt to install tomcat5 from ports, I get java errors.  I know I
need to download the Java files, but when I go to download them, new
versions are available.  That's a problem within itself!  Linux-jdk1.3
doesn't exist anymore, but linux-sun-jdk13 does.  I'm assuming this is
the same ports package?

I would like to install most apps from ports, mainly because it's
easier.  But, I'm not afraid to download the source and go that route.

Thanks,
Todd

Re: Anyone with Tomcat on FreeBSD 5.3

Posted by Joel <re...@ddcom.co.jp>.
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:20:44 -0600
"Todd Reed" <tr...@astate.edu> wrote

> [...]  Linux-jdk1.3
> doesn't exist anymore, but linux-sun-jdk13 does.  I'm assuming this is
> the same ports package?

I think that may be due to the recent license changes (and Sun's not
being able to just simply open the whole thing all at once, whatever
their reasons are).

You might want to check the freeBSD archives. If you can't get at the
official archives, marc.theaimsgroup.com has them.

I think the freeBSD organization for a while had permission to
distribute one thing, but they now have permission to distribute another
instead.

--
Joel Rees   <re...@ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム