Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com> on 2012/03/02 23:28:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4.1 third party dependencies

I've been following the various changes with Apache 2.4.x (and 2.3.x
during development regarding the removal of apr/apr-util and pcre from
the Apache source bundle and noted that:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html

says nothing about PCRE as a requirement, but the default configure
options look for pcre and blow up if it can't find it.

I see in  Makefile.win that srclib\pcre will be processed for the
Windows build but there's no facility to handle that outside of the
Windows builds.

I take it there's no alternative to building PCRE as an external dependency?

I have to build and bundle Apache on enough platforms that don't have
pcre available by default that I was hoping there would be some way to
just extract the source into the old srclib location had have it handle
the build for me like I can with apr/apr-util.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4.1 third party dependencies

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 02.03.2012 23:28, Andy Wang wrote:
> I've been following the various changes with Apache 2.4.x (and 2.3.x
> during development regarding the removal of apr/apr-util and pcre from
> the Apache source bundle and noted that:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html
>
> says nothing about PCRE as a requirement, but the default configure
> options look for pcre and blow up if it can't find it.
>
> I see in Makefile.win that srclib\pcre will be processed for the Windows
> build but there's no facility to handle that outside of the Windows builds.
>
> I take it there's no alternative to building PCRE as an external dependency?
>
> I have to build and bundle Apache on enough platforms that don't have
> pcre available by default that I was hoping there would be some way to
> just extract the source into the old srclib location had have it handle
> the build for me like I can with apr/apr-util.

No there isn't. AFAIR on Windows modern PCRE supports building with cmake.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4.1 third party dependencies

Posted by Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>.
On 03/03/2012 06:51 PM, Sander Temme wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Andy Wang wrote:
>
>> 've been following the various changes with Apache 2.4.x (and 2.3.x during development regarding the removal of apr/apr-util and pcre from the Apache source bundle and noted that:
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html
>>
>> says nothing about PCRE as a requirement, but the default configure options look for pcre and blow up if it can't find it.
> I just committed this change: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1296736&view=rev
>
> Does that help clarify things?
>
> S.

Thanks, that does clarify it but wasn't really why I was bringing it up.

I was hoping the old srclib method of "bundling" pcre was still
available somehow :)

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Andy Wang wrote:

> 've been following the various changes with Apache 2.4.x (and 2.3.x during development regarding the removal of apr/apr-util and pcre from the Apache source bundle and noted that:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html
>
> says nothing about PCRE as a requirement, but the default configure options look for pcre and blow up if it can't find it.

I just committed this change: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1296736&view=rev

Does that help clarify things?

S.

PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability: http://tungle.me/sctemme