Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Miles Crawford <mi...@allenai.org> on 2016/04/11 18:24:28 UTC

Control rate of preemption?

I'm using the YARN fair scheduler to allow a group of users to equally
share a cluster for running Spark jobs.

Works great, but when a large rebalance happens, Spark sometimes can't keep
up, and the job fails.

Is there any way to control the rate at which YARN preempts resources? I'd
love to limit the killing of containers to a slower pace, so Spark has a
chance to keep up.

Thanks,
-miles

Re: Control rate of preemption?

Posted by Miles Crawford <mi...@allenai.org>.
In looking at the code I found two undocumented config properties:

yarn.scheduler.fair.preemptionInterval
yarn.scheduler.fair.waitTimeBeforeKill

But these don't seem to enough for me, since it appears the fair
scheduler will still preempt as many containers as it would like in a
single operation.  I was hoping for something like:

yarn.scheduler.fair.maxContainersToPreemptPerInterval

So that I could smooth out the rebalance operation over a longer time...

-m

Posted by Miles Crawford <mi...@allenai.org>.

Posted by Miles Crawford <mi...@allenai.org>.

Posted by Miles Crawford <mi...@allenai.org>.