Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Crawford <rc...@unexmail.ucdavis.edu> on 2003/04/28 17:17:09 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication with Apache 2.44 on Solaris 8 doesn't appear to work

I've confirmed (over and over and over and over... ad nauseum) that the
directory in question is, in fact, the proper directory.  Gah.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that jrun is somehow
interfering with Apache.  When a user goes to the site in question, there
is a "cfmx" inserted into the URL.  My understanding is that this is a
"context_root" which somehow allows the jrun server to interpret J2EE and
Cold Fusion.  There is no directory or process called "cfmx" on the
machine, but it might be interfering somehow anyway.

At any rate, I think we're going to create a solution in Cold Fusion, since
Basic authentication is not as secure as we want anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: [users@httpd] RESOLVED (sort of): Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication with Apache 2.44 on Solaris 8 doesn't appear to work

Posted by Richard Crawford <rc...@unexmail.ucdavis.edu>.
Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I'm learning that the intermingling of JRun and Apache is a bizarre
labyrinthine construct of entangled processes and servers, maintaining a
delicate balance that will crash your web services app if you look at them
funny.  Gah.

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Posted by Richard Crawford <rc...@unexmail.ucdavis.edu>.
I've done some Googling on JRun and Apache and authentication, figuring
that JRun might be interfering with the process somehow.

I was right.  It seems that the JRun module loaded by

	LoadModule jrun_module

intercepts http requests before Apache does, so the authentication requests
are never received by Apache.

This is ugly.  There is probably a way to address the issue using Cold
Fusion or JSP but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.  I really appreciate it!