Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Stevenson, Chris" <Ch...@DrKW.com> on 2005/11/23 13:13:28 UTC

[m2] Best practices with Branching and Versioning using Continuum ...

Dear All,

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to manage branching and
versioning in m2?

At my company we build like this:

- Main body of work is done on trunk with all subcomponents as snapshot.
- Before release we convert all components to a versioned number (usually
the same as the release)
- We then branch and do release.
- (At this point we set up or CI for branch)
- We then convert all our projects back to snapshot for the programming
phase
- Any bug fixes are done on the branch so that we can always have a
consistent build of the last rollout.

What we've found with this approach is that

a) There is a lot of time wasted changing components over from snapshot to
version and vice versa.
b) Setting up the CI for the branch is painful because we have to
reconfigure a new instance of Continuum or Cruise Control (for our m1
projects) for the branch.

My questions are?

- Has the Maven project or anyone using it found a way to reduce the
overhead in converting all there sub components to versions from snapshot
and back to snapshot after release?
- Has anyone found a way to minimise the pain in reconfiguraing Continuum to
build the same set of projects off a branch rather than the trunk?

As always any insight much appreciated.

Chris

Chris Stevenson

Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein

 ------

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166

Re: [m2] Best practices with Branching and Versioning using Continuum ...

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

> My questions are?
>
> - Has the Maven project or anyone using it found a way to reduce the
> overhead in converting all there sub components to versions from snapshot
> and back to snapshot after release?

Take a look at the release plugin. The release:prepare goal should take care
of this.

regards,

Wim

Re: [m2] Best practices with Branching and Versioning using Continuum ...

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Stevenson, Chris wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to manage branching and
> versioning in m2?

We are working on defining our own process so maybe we can share that
with others. Unfortunately we started this on the dev mailing list so I
don't have anything to point you at but I'll try and move the points
into the wiki so I can point you at it.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)