Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk> on 2018/10/15 10:12:50 UTC

Has anyone tried nesting "toplevel" layout components successfully?

Hi

I'm trying to improve on the layout we are using across several tapestry
based products.
Initially it used an abstract base layout component that the products
extend to provide a common line for the layout.

I'm trying to simplify this situation by making the layout in the framework
module a concrete component (lets call it pagelayout), that wrap its t:body
in <html> etc.

Each product creates its own layout (called layout) component that provides
the specific menu, topbar etc. and then wraps itself in the layout from the
framework module.

Ordinary pages has t:type=layout in their root element to wrap themselves
in the product layout component, which in turn has t:type=pagelayout on its
root element to wrap itself in the framework layout providing the
surrounding html tag.

According to the documentation (
https://tapestry.apache.org/layout-component.html#LayoutComponent-NestedLayouts)
this should not be an issue.

However when I try to render one of these pages tapestry complains with:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: The root element of the rendered
linking JavaScript and stylesheet resources.
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.DocumentLinkerImpl.addScriptElements(DocumentLinkerImpl.java:179)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.DocumentLinkerImpl.updateDocument(DocumentLinkerImpl.java:140)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.modules.TapestryModule$25.renderMarkup(TapestryModule.java:1752)
        at $MarkupRenderer_1760ef286199e.renderMarkup(Unknown Source)
        at
com.dezide.author.tapestry.DeferredDialogFilter.renderMarkup(DeferredDialogFilter.java:21)
        at $MarkupRendererFilter_1760ef286199c.renderMarkup(Unknown Source)
        at $MarkupRenderer_1760ef286199e.renderMarkup(Unknown Source)
        at $MarkupRenderer_1760ef2861999.renderMarkup(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.PageMarkupRendererImpl.renderPageMarkup(PageMarkupRendererImpl.java:47)
        at $PageMarkupRenderer_1760ef2861997.renderPageMarkup(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.PageResponseRendererImpl.renderPageResponse(PageResponseRendererImpl.java:64)
        at $PageResponseRenderer_1760ef28618e2.renderPageResponse(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.PageRenderRequestHandlerImpl.handle(PageRenderRequestHandlerImpl.java:72)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.modules.TapestryModule$34.handle(TapestryModule.java:1974)
        at $PageRenderRequestHandler_1760ef28618e4.handle(Unknown Source)
        at $PageRenderRequestHandler_1760ef28618d3.handle(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ComponentRequestHandlerTerminator.handlePageRender(ComponentRequestHandlerTerminator.java:48)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.DeferredResponseRenderer.handlePageRender(DeferredResponseRenderer.java:52)
        at $ComponentRequestHandler_1760ef28618d4.handlePageRender(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.services.InitializeActivePageName.handlePageRender(InitializeActivePageName.java:47)
        at $ComponentRequestHandler_1760ef28618d4.handlePageRender(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.RequestOperationTracker$2.run(RequestOperationTracker.java:73)
        at
org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.OperationTrackerImpl.run(OperationTrackerImpl.java:56)
        ... 151 more

The document linker root is the output of rendering the specific page (it
may have wrapped the Layout around it, but it is hard to tell as that one
only provides shared configuration of the pagelayout.

Has anyone successfully used nested layouts like this? The documentation
seems to suggest it should work, but I've tried a lot of different
constructs without success.

--
Best regards
Chris

Re: Has anyone tried nesting "toplevel" layout components successfully?

Posted by Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk>.
Hi

Thanks for the input.

I agree with your points and my experience is also that mostly things just
work or you are provided with a helpful error (my naming is to avoid having
to change all the pages that currently refers to "layout" while testing ;)

I have managed to get it to work. I had screwed up somewhere along the way
and managed to not create PageLayout class/tml in the same path in the
final output. It was apparently "working enough" to make it hard to see
what was actually wrong.

Sorry for the noise

--
Chris