Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Everitt, Andrew" <An...@gbr.xerox.com> on 2000/09/18 13:00:25 UTC

Time for Release?

An oft asked question but I have been watching the volume of patches
recently and was wondering if it is time to put a 'nail in the sand' and do
a release. How about setting a target data ASAP so that all those patches
can be applied ;-).

We are using Ant 1.1 very successfully, however there are now quite a few
patches which I would like to take advantage of but I am not entirely
comfortable with using a snapshot build.

Thoughts ?

Cheers,
Andi.
____________________
Andrew Everitt
Xerox Mobile Solutions, Cambridge. UK

Re: Time for Release?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
The two things I really wanted to be there before we make the next
release are now in CVS - dynamic property evaluation and dynamic
definition of tasks. Both will need some thorough testing of course.

Glenn should have his commiter status cleared soon, so the
consolidated file tasks should be available.

I've promised to add the UpToDate task sometime this week.

There are other things I'd really like to see including:

(1) extension tasks - i.e. a different framework for adding tasks to
Ant.

(2) a refactoring of the tasks that need to compare file timestamps to
see whether they actually need to run. One additional result should be
an <exec> like <transform> task.

Both could wait if we went for Ant 1.2 and then made Ant 2.0 including
wish (1) follow rather soon.

Others?

Stefan