Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Иван Судос <iv...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/21 11:47:32 UTC

Possibility of additional compression within a binary rpc protocol

I'm doing a sort of investigation of possibility to perform some additional
compression of the byte stream generated by DirectBinaryEncoder.
Is it possible to add some deflatoring layer, based for example on Huffman
encoding? Or are there reasons so that it is not feasible or possible at
all?

Sudos Ivan

C уважением,
 Судос Иван.

Re: Possibility of additional compression within a binary rpc protocol

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Иван,

Compression seems like an excellent addition to the RPC layer.  There is
already a 'Codec' interface used for avro data files; it would make sense
to expose the same set of codecs for RPC.  I recommend looking over
https://cwiki.apache.org/AVRO/how-to-contribute.html and filing a JIRA with
your plan.  I'm sure people will be interested in which RPC layers you're
proposing to do this on.  For the HttpServer family, you might be able to
use transparent gzip compression (
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/GZIP+Compression), though I'm not
sure that would work.

Cheers,