Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Apache Software Foundation <hu...@Apache.Org> on 2002/05/10 22:54:42 UTC

FW: suggestion

Gah.  How does all this mail get lost?

Not acked, doesn't need to be.  Just food for thought..

----- Forwarded message from Professor of Information Technologies <no...@netscape.net> -----

From: Professor of Information Technologies <no...@netscape.net>
To: apache@apache.org
Subject: suggestion
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 00:23:40 -0400

How about a default distribution of robots.txt that
blocks email siphon programs like

www.extractorpro.com and any others you can
find?

I think they're a menace, and I suspect most
users of your server software would agree...

----- End forwarded message -----

--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: FW: suggestion

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Jerry Baker wrote:

> Couldn't hurt, but does anybody think that people unscrupulous enough to
> strip-mine the Web for potential spam victims will develop some
> principles wrt robots.txt? I doubt it.

I also doubt it.  Unfortunately.  :(  Now we could take that rewrite
rules based spambot trap and make it default config.  hehehehe  Yeah
right, they'd just come up with smarter spambots.  There's no way around
this I'm afraid.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com