Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Murat Cetin <mc...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/13 01:48:41 UTC

Trying to use HttpClient in lieu of HttpsUrlConnection

Hi,

I am having issues with the keep-alive in HttpsUrlConnection in some legacy
code and considering the HttpClient as an alternative.

My question is, essentially, I have a URLCursor class definition as follows:

   public URLCursor(String[] urls, ClientMetadata clientMetadata) {
        this.urls = urls;
        this.urlIdx = 0;
        this.clientMetadata = clientMetadata;
        // Custom trust manager to ignore certification
        TrustManager[] customTrustManager = new TrustManager[]{
            new X509TrustManager() {
                public X509Certificate[] getAcceptedIssuers() {
                    return null;
                }
                public void checkClientTrusted(X509Certificate[]
certs, String authType) {
                }
                public void checkServerTrusted(X509Certificate[]
certs, String authType) {
                }
            }
        };
        // Custom host verifier to accept all hosts.
        HostnameVerifier allHostsValid = new HostnameVerifier() {
            public boolean verify(String hostname, SSLSession session) {
                return true;
            }
        };

        // Setup custom SSL trust manager that ignores SSL certificate
validation =
        try {
            SSLContext sc = SSLContext.getInstance("SSL");
            sc.init(null, customTrustManager, new java.security.SecureRandom());
            HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultSSLSocketFactory(sc.getSocketFactory());
            HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier(allHostsValid);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.err.println("Error: Failed to establish https with
no cert verification");
        }
    }

I have a subsequent next() method that essentially creates a new URL, opens
a http connection using url.openConnection(), gets a BufferedReader from
the input stream and then reads lines out of this stream

How can I achieve the same using HttpClient, especially the constructor
logic that ignores the certification?

thanks,
Murat
​

Re: Trying to use HttpClient in lieu of HttpsUrlConnection

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Bindul,

On 2/12/18 10:17 PM, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Murat Cetin <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having issues with the keep-alive in HttpsUrlConnection in some legacy
>> code and considering the HttpClient as an alternative.
>>
>> My question is, essentially, I have a URLCursor class definition as follows:
>>
>>    public URLCursor(String[] urls, ClientMetadata clientMetadata) {
>>         this.urls = urls;
>>         this.urlIdx = 0;
>>         this.clientMetadata = clientMetadata;
>>         // Custom trust manager to ignore certification
>>         TrustManager[] customTrustManager = new TrustManager[]{
>>             new X509TrustManager() {
>>                 public X509Certificate[] getAcceptedIssuers() {
>>                     return null;
>>                 }
>>                 public void checkClientTrusted(X509Certificate[]
>> certs, String authType) {
>>                 }
>>                 public void checkServerTrusted(X509Certificate[]
>> certs, String authType) {
>>                 }
>>             }
>>         };
>>         // Custom host verifier to accept all hosts.
>>         HostnameVerifier allHostsValid = new HostnameVerifier() {
>>             public boolean verify(String hostname, SSLSession session) {
>>                 return true;
>>             }
>>         };
>>
>>         // Setup custom SSL trust manager that ignores SSL certificate
>> validation =
>>         try {
>>             SSLContext sc = SSLContext.getInstance("SSL");
>>             sc.init(null, customTrustManager, new java.security.SecureRandom());
>>             HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultSSLSocketFactory(sc.getSocketFactory());
>>             HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier(allHostsValid);
>>         } catch (Exception e) {
>>             System.err.println("Error: Failed to establish https with
>> no cert verification");
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>> I have a subsequent next() method that essentially creates a new URL, opens
>> a http connection using url.openConnection(), gets a BufferedReader from
>> the input stream and then reads lines out of this stream
>>
>> How can I achieve the same using HttpClient, especially the constructor
>> logic that ignores the certification?
>
> Murat,
>
>>From what I see, what you are doing is disabling hostname and SSL
> certificate verification. You can achieve both using a
> NoopHostnameVerifier and a TrustAllStrategy for certificates.
>
> You can initialize your HttpClient something like:
>
> SSLContext sslContext = SSLContexts.custom().loadTrustMaterial( new
> TrustAllStrategy() ).build();
> CloseableHttpClient httpClient =
> HttpClients.custom().setSSLHostnameVerifier(
> NoopHostnameVerifier.INSTANCE ).setSSLContext( sslContext ).build();

+1

Also, Murat, you should remove the static calls to HttpsURLConnection
because you don't want to override the whole JVM's TLS configuration.
That's a serious potential security problem given how you have
configured the SSLContext.

> Depending on your use case, unless you are running requests across
> multiple threads, you should be able to share the http client instance
> created for all your requests.
>
> Disclaimer: it is not a good idea to have any of those verifications
> turned off in production.

+1

-chris

Re: Trying to use HttpClient in lieu of HttpsUrlConnection

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Murat Cetin <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having issues with the keep-alive in HttpsUrlConnection in some legacy
> code and considering the HttpClient as an alternative.
>
> My question is, essentially, I have a URLCursor class definition as follows:
>
>    public URLCursor(String[] urls, ClientMetadata clientMetadata) {
>         this.urls = urls;
>         this.urlIdx = 0;
>         this.clientMetadata = clientMetadata;
>         // Custom trust manager to ignore certification
>         TrustManager[] customTrustManager = new TrustManager[]{
>             new X509TrustManager() {
>                 public X509Certificate[] getAcceptedIssuers() {
>                     return null;
>                 }
>                 public void checkClientTrusted(X509Certificate[]
> certs, String authType) {
>                 }
>                 public void checkServerTrusted(X509Certificate[]
> certs, String authType) {
>                 }
>             }
>         };
>         // Custom host verifier to accept all hosts.
>         HostnameVerifier allHostsValid = new HostnameVerifier() {
>             public boolean verify(String hostname, SSLSession session) {
>                 return true;
>             }
>         };
>
>         // Setup custom SSL trust manager that ignores SSL certificate
> validation =
>         try {
>             SSLContext sc = SSLContext.getInstance("SSL");
>             sc.init(null, customTrustManager, new java.security.SecureRandom());
>             HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultSSLSocketFactory(sc.getSocketFactory());
>             HttpsURLConnection.setDefaultHostnameVerifier(allHostsValid);
>         } catch (Exception e) {
>             System.err.println("Error: Failed to establish https with
> no cert verification");
>         }
>     }
>
> I have a subsequent next() method that essentially creates a new URL, opens
> a http connection using url.openConnection(), gets a BufferedReader from
> the input stream and then reads lines out of this stream
>
> How can I achieve the same using HttpClient, especially the constructor
> logic that ignores the certification?

Murat,

From what I see, what you are doing is disabling hostname and SSL
certificate verification. You can achieve both using a
NoopHostnameVerifier and a TrustAllStrategy for certificates.

You can initialize your HttpClient something like:

SSLContext sslContext = SSLContexts.custom().loadTrustMaterial( new
TrustAllStrategy() ).build();
CloseableHttpClient httpClient =
HttpClients.custom().setSSLHostnameVerifier(
NoopHostnameVerifier.INSTANCE ).setSSLContext( sslContext ).build();

Depending on your use case, unless you are running requests across
multiple threads, you should be able to share the http client instance
created for all your requests.

Disclaimer: it is not a good idea to have any of those verifications
turned off in production.

Bindul