Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2013/11/19 18:10:54 UTC

EPL source code in the new commons/logging module is not ok IMO

Hi,

Did we agree to include EPL source code in there? Looking at [1] for
example. I haven't found such discussions in our archives.

According to [2], EPL-licensed code is ok in binary form only, not source code.

Chetan, can we easily change that code to include the EPL stuff in
binary form? I assume we could extract the required classes from the
logback dependency at build time.

I have voted -1 on the commons log 4.0.0 release, until we clarify or fix this.

-Bertrand

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/commons/log/src/main/java/ch/qos/logback/classic/spi/PackagingDataCalculator.java

[2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Re: EPL source code in the new commons/logging module is not ok IMO

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
I would cancel the release for now. For now would see if Logback gets
released with the fixes [2] . If that takes quite a bit of time would
go for workaround

Create SLING-3252 [1] to track this

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3252
[2] http://mailman.qos.ch/pipermail/logback-dev/2013-November/009291.html

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
> Chetan, can we easily change that code to include the EPL stuff in
> binary form? I assume we could extract the required classes from the
> logback dependency at build time.

I mentioned that when providing fix for SLING-3037 [1] and based on
that only I committed my changes. The reason those classes are there
because I need to patch them locally untill the changes get included
in next Logback release.

regards
Chetan
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3037?focusedCommentId=13759004