Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/13 23:25:28 UTC

Easy Hacks

There’s a discussion on a FOSS list, initiated (this time) by Stefano Z. of Debian, about compiling a cross-project list of “easy hacks”. What’s easy is in the eye of the beholder, to be sure, but also in the gaze of the community. We’ve periodically come up with some things that inexperienced members can try doing—and these need not be coding hacks. Some projects—probably the majority—start their new members off by encouraging them (or mandating) to do work on bus, outstanding issues, etc. But even for these, there are levels of difficulty.

The compilation could be located any number of places, even at OpenHatch.org. Stefano started off the discussion with a short list (see below) and more has been added to it. But what do we have for OpenOffice? (You’ll not that Stefano includes LibreOffice.)

Best
Louis

- Debian's newcomer bugs:
 https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer

- Django's easy tickets
 https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&easy=1

- Fedora's easy fix
 http://fedoraproject.org/easyfix/

- GNOME's gnome-love bugs:
 https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeLove/FindingTasks

- LibreOffice's easy hacks:
 https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

- Mediawiki's annoying little bugs
 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs

- Mozilla's BugsAhoy
 https://wiki.mozilla.org/BugsAhoy

- OpenStack's low hanging fruits:
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack/+bugs?orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status:list=NEW&field.status:list=CONFIRMED&field.status:list=TRIAGED&field.tag=low-hanging-fruit

- Python's easy issues
 http://bugs.python.org/issue?status=1&@sort=-activity&@columns=id,activity,title,creator,status&@dispname=Easy%20issues&@startwith=0&@group=priority&keywords=6&@action=search&@filter=&@pagesize=50

- Ubuntu's bitesize bugs:
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=bitesize

- VLC's easy bugs
 https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&difficulty=easy&order=priority`

Re: Easy Hacks

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Andrea…

> On 13 Jan 2015, at 17:34, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> what do we have for OpenOffice?
>
> It's at http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html, section Finding Easy Tasks. We have two predefined queries (you find the links there) for Easy and Simple tasks.
>
> We encourage new developers to check with the list before starting their work, since the queries use values from Bugzilla that may not always be up-to-date (I mean: "Easy" tasks may include issues that are not that easy or that still need some discussion).

Of course—contributing is usually a discursive process. But thanks for the link. I’ll pass this on to the list.

It would be kind of interesting (and also cool) to test out some of the easy hacks on more or less unsophisticated students or other (captive, I guess) audiences. Just for fun. :-)

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Cheers,
Louis