Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vladislav Kamensky <Vl...@atbusiness.com> on 2003/04/17 16:18:56 UTC

struts & resin

When I use Struts with Resin on Win2k everything is goes well,
but when I try to use Struts with Resin on Unix I get following error:

Does anybody know where trouble is ?

javax.servlet.UnavailableException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission
accessDeclaredMembers)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModulePlugIns(ActionServlet.java:1085)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:454)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:82)
	at com.caucho.server.http.Application.createServlet(Application.java:3103)
	at com.caucho.server.http.Application.loadServlet(Application.java:3054)
	at com.caucho.server.http.Application.initServlets(Application.java:1914)
	at com.caucho.server.http.Application.init(Application.java:1827)
	at com.caucho.server.http.VirtualHost.startApplication(VirtualHost.java:1192)
	at com.caucho.server.http.VirtualHost.getInvocation(VirtualHost.java:991)
	at com.caucho.server.http.ServletServer.getInvocation(ServletServer.java:1196)
	at com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleRequest(RunnerRequest.java:339)
	at com.caucho.server.http.RunnerRequest.handleConnection(RunnerRequest.java:272)
	at com.caucho.server.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:137)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
P.S.  struts 1.1-b3
--Vlad Kamensky,            @Business  SPb.

Re: struts & resin

Posted by Vladislav Kamensky <Vl...@atbusiness.com>.

> Not sure if you've had an answer to this yet - it may be you've resolved it
> yourself? It seems to me this may be the result of running the container
> under a Java Security Manager - which requires some settings to be added to
> the policy for webapps. Basically this involves adding something like the
> following line to the catalina policy file:
>
>   permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "accessDeclaredMembers";

Yes, I have already found answer to my question.
The problem is that JDK1.3 for Unix/FreeBSD 4.7 has a bug, in
particular, bug with reflection. And it can be solved (as you pointed) only by editing .policy file.
BTW: the root exception is thrown by Digester which uses Reflection very intensively.

grant {
      permission java.lang.reflect.ReflectPermission "suppressAccessChecks";
};

--
Vlad Kamensky,
            @Business  SPb.

RE: struts & resin

Posted by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net>.
Not sure if you've had an answer to this yet - it may be you've resolved it
yourself? It seems to me this may be the result of running the container
under a Java Security Manager - which requires some settings to be added to
the policy for webapps. Basically this involves adding something like the
following line to the catalina policy file:

  permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "accessDeclaredMembers";

Hue.

---

Re: struts & resin

Posted by Vladislav Kamensky <Vl...@atbusiness.com>.
Here I attach stackTrace of root exception.
Does it clarify something ?

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission accessDeclaredMembers)
[...]
 at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModulePlugIns(ActionServlet.java:1068)