Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com> on 2015/03/29 08:46:11 UTC

[users@httpd] compile and install from source

Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 and it built fine (./configure && make && make install). but  /usr/sbin/named is still 9.8

If I try to start named (service named start), it starts this version instead of the version in /usr/local/sbin

I assume I need to either replace /etc/rc.d/named or fix it somehow?

--
what was supposed to be so special about a full moon? It was only a big
circle of light. And the dark of the moon was only darkness. But

[users@httpd] Re: compile and install from source

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On Mar 29, 2015, at 12:53, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/29/2015 03:05 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
>>> On Mar 29, 2015, at 00:46, @lbutlr <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 and it built fine (./configure && make && make install). but  /usr/sbin/named is still 9.8
>>>
>>> If I try to start named (service named start), it starts this version instead of the version in /usr/local/sbin
>>>
>>> I assume I need to either replace /etc/rc.d/named or fix it somehow?
>> I found this in /etc/defaults/rc,conf:
>
> wrong mailing list ;)

Ooops. No WONDER there were no replies on the bind list!

--
the first man to hear the voice of Om, and who gave Om his view of
humans, was a shepherd and not a goatherd. They have quite different

Re: [users@httpd] Re: compile and install from source

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
> On Mar 29, 2015, at 00:46, @lbutlr <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
>
> Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 and it built fine (./configure && make && make install). but  /usr/sbin/named is still 9.8
>
> If I try to start named (service named start), it starts this version instead of the version in /usr/local/sbin
>
> I assume I need to either replace /etc/rc.d/named or fix it somehow?

I found this in /etc/defaults/rc,conf:

named_enable="NO"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="/usr/sbin/named" # Path to named, if you want a different one.
named_conf="/etc/namedb/named.conf"     # Path to the configuration file
#named_flags=""                 # Use this for flags OTHER than -u and -c
named_uid="bind"                # User to run named as
named_chrootdir="/var/named"    # Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)
named_chroot_autoupdate="YES"   # Automatically install/update chrooted
                                # components of named. See /etc/rc.d/named.
named_symlink_enable="YES"      # Symlink the chrooted pid file
named_wait="NO"                 # Wait for working name service before exiting
named_wait_host="localhost"     # Hostname to check if named_wait is enabled
named_auto_forward="NO"         # Set up forwarders from /etc/resolv.conf
named_auto_forward_only="NO"    # Do "forward only" instead of "forward first”

So I changed the path to /usr/local/sbin/named

But now I get:

$ /etc/rc.d/named start
Starting named.
/etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: failed to start named

But there is nothing in /var/log/messages