Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2018/08/31 21:22:13 UTC

[VOTE] Apache POI 4.0.0 release (RC1)

Hi,

I've prepared artifacts for the release of Apache POI 4.0.0 (RC1).

The most notable changes in this release are:

- Removed support for Java 6 and 7 making Java 8 the minimum version supported
- Unsplit packages for Jigsaw / Java 9 compatibility
- OutputStreams aren't closed by write(OutputStream) methods anymore
- Depends on new XMLBeans 3.0.1 release
- New ooxml-schema version 1.4 - use via poi-ooxml-schema (preferred) or ooxml-schema artifact
- OPOIFS* classes removed / NPOIFS* classes renamed to OPOIFS*
- new XDDF classes for shared diagram/chart functionality of X**F modules

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/poi/4.0.0-RC1/

All tests pass. ASC files verify and SHA* are correct.
There's no clutter in the src/bin packages.

Please vote to release the artifacts.
The vote keeps open until we have have feedback from TIKA and a consent on the govdocs results.

Planned release announcement date is open.

Here is my +1

Andi

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 4.0.0 release (RC1)

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
Sorry for my delay.  I'm kicking off our regression tests now.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
On 9/1/18 5:45 PM, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> Only found a very minor glitch: osgi/build.xml and sonar/**/pom.xml still
> contain "4.0.0-SNAPSHOT", but I would not redo the release just because of
> that.

There are still a few files which need to be updated to 4.0.0. I've started to modify the build.xml
to do the search&replace and remove references to beta/final as we are using now semantic versioning.

Please don't update those files - I try to finish it by today evening/tomorrow.

Andi

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache POI 4.0.0 release (RC1)

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.
Congrats on the release!

[RESULT] [VOTE] Apache POI 4.0.0 release (RC1)

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
The vote has passed with 6x +1 from POI PMCs - amazing!.

I'll now release the artifacts and announce it on Friday or Saturday.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

with these sets of regression results plus the detailed checks done earlier
on the artifact contents.

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
+1

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

Re: [VOTE] Apache POI 4.0.0 release (RC1)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 1, 2018, at 5:30 PM, Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> thank you for checking the files.
>
> In the following, I use the tag "DIST" to refer to the artifacts uploaded to the dist area and "MVN" for the artifacts uploaded to the nexus staging repo.
>
> @1. DIST/MVN: fixed for future releases - for itself, I wouldn't rebuild all the files (but can be convinced to do so), but if I need to rebuild the files because of some other major problem, the LICENSE file would be fixed then too ...

Check

> @2. DIST/MVN: the artifact is built by "ant compile-ooxml-xsds", I've fixed the build to include the legal files and fixed the artifacts

I’ll verify and then VOTE

> @3a. DIST: I've fixed the typo in the release notes

Thanks.

> @3b. DIST: although the timestamp is in the name of the outer archive, I prefer to have no timestamp in the embedded jar - there's no difference in the file coming from the global maven repo and the one we provide in the prebuilt archive.
> I've fixed the reference to JDK 1.6 -> 1.8

Ok.

> @3c. DIST: I don't understand the point.
> The following works for me ... I don't see a problem with the prebuilt files:

Sorry I was not clear. The build.xml is commented and producing MD5 / SHA1. Likely this must be until repository.apache.org is fixed.
> find . -name "*.sha256" -type f -execdir sha256sum -c {} \;
> find . -name "*.sha512" -type f -execdir sha512sum -c {} \;
> MVN: If you upload files manually to the nexus repo, the MD5 / SHA1 files are created by nexus
> and because of INFRA-14923 SHA256/512 aren't allowed.

Maven and Infra are working on it.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.