Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/23 17:07:58 UTC

Proton-based AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Hi all,

As most of you will be aware, we currently have a JMS client that supports
AMQP 0-8 / 0-9 / 0-9-1 / 0-10 and a separate JMS client supporting AMQP
1.0, the latter of which was partly the result of prototyping work relating
to implementing AMQP 1.0. Since then Proton has been created, in part to
offer a means for ourselves and others integrate AMQP 1.0 into products. We
are already using Proton-c as basis for the AMQP 1.0 support for the C++
client and broker, but are not as yet using Proton-J within a Qpid client
or broker (though it is being used by the ActiveMQ project).

The time has come where we would like to begin working on a Proton-based
JMS[2.0] client. I have recently spent some time with Rob Godfrey working
through how we could approach this, putting together a very simple client
proof of concept using Proton-J. We are now reaching the point where we
would like to actually set up some infrastructure for use going forward,
e.g an area to commit code etc and an issue tracker to raise items.

In keeping with prior discussion of making the project structure more
component-based, a couple of things we would like to do:

- Create an area in svn, located alongside the proton directory, e.g:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms

- Request creation of a JIRA project, e.g QPIDJMS, inititally for use
relating to the new client but perhaps eventually serving for all QPID JMS
related components.

The latter one will require a vote for infra, which I will look to start in
the near future.

Regards,
Robbie

Re: Proton-based AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 23 May 2013 16:07, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As most of you will be aware, we currently have a JMS client that supports
> AMQP 0-8 / 0-9 / 0-9-1 / 0-10 and a separate JMS client supporting AMQP
> 1.0, the latter of which was partly the result of prototyping work relating
> to implementing AMQP 1.0. Since then Proton has been created, in part to
> offer a means for ourselves and others integrate AMQP 1.0 into products. We
> are already using Proton-c as basis for the AMQP 1.0 support for the C++
> client and broker, but are not as yet using Proton-J within a Qpid client
> or broker (though it is being used by the ActiveMQ project).
>
> The time has come where we would like to begin working on a Proton-based
> JMS[2.0] client. I have recently spent some time with Rob Godfrey working
> through how we could approach this, putting together a very simple client
> proof of concept using Proton-J. We are now reaching the point where we
> would like to actually set up some infrastructure for use going forward,
> e.g an area to commit code etc and an issue tracker to raise items.
>
> In keeping with prior discussion of making the project structure more
> component-based, a couple of things we would like to do:
>
> - Create an area in svn, located alongside the proton directory, e.g:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/jms
>
> - Request creation of a JIRA project, e.g QPIDJMS, inititally for use
> relating to the new client but perhaps eventually serving for all QPID JMS
> related components.
>
> The latter one will require a vote for infra, which I will look to start
> in the near future.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie

I have now opened a vote regarding creation of a QPIDJMS JIRA project as
mentioned above. I would encourage committers to vote even if you are
unlikely to be contributing to the related component(s).

Re: Proton-based AMQP 1.0 JMS client

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a different JIRA system.
I believe that is the only way we can support an independent release cycle.

Rajith

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>.
This is great news!