Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by John Reynolds <jo...@austin.rr.com> on 2004/10/01 02:31:34 UTC

Examples using the Tapestry Table component

This is the text of a blog entry I am posting at java.net.
I'd really appreciate feedback on how I can improve this example.

Thanks!

https://bloggers.dev.java.net/files/documents/84/7378/TapestryTables.war

There's an old saying that the best way to learn something is to teach
it. I've been evaluating the Tapestry Web Component Framework for a new
project, and I really needed to learn how to use Tapestry's multi-page
sortable table. What better way then to create an example application to
teach others what I have learned?

If you've got an itch to learn a bit about how to use Tapestry's Table
component, please download TapestryTables.war and try it out. I have
tested this application with Tomcat 5.0, but I think it should work with
any standard servlet container.

I've been exposed to Tapestry before, and I am quite fond of it, but I
have never used the Table component before. This particular component is
very powerful and very flexible... good attributes when you need to use
the component, but sometimes a source of confusion when you're first
learning how to use it.

Tapestry is well documented, and examples for using the Table component
are included in the distribution, but at first I couldn't quite figure
out how to do what I wanted. Happily, after a bit of judicious lurking
on the Tapestry Users List I was able to figure out how to do what I
needed to do.

There are some really helpful people out on this list, and I'd like to
single out Jamie Orchard-Hays in particular. His patient responses in a
series of exchanges with Lindsay Steele really set me on the right
track.

I am delighted with the movement towards Web Component Frameworks for
developing browser-based applications. With Tapestry, Echo, and now JSF
it won't be long before the days of tedious JSP tags, JavaScript
libraries and custom handlers pass into the mists of memories.

A critical element necessary for these frameworks to really take off is
the wide availability of examples for the various components. A lot of
really talented folks have developed some great components, but they
sometimes need help in documenting and demonstrating their creations. If
you do check out my examples, please let me know how I can improve them,
and by all means feel free to pass them on and expand them. Hopefully,
TapestryTables.war is just the first installment in a series.

RE: Examples using the Tapestry Table component

Posted by Rick Austin <ri...@rickaustin.net>.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. For some reason I had trouble getting
my head around the table example in the Workbench app. Five minutes
after reading your tutorial I was able to get my pages containing tables
updated using your approach. Great job!

One thing I stumbled over was the property specification below:

<property-specification name="dataItems" type="java.util.List"
persistent="yes"/>

My page class is NOT abstract so I simply removed the property
specification from my .page file and everything worked. My "List" is
created from a database query. As an aside, there may be a reason to use
an abstract class but I don't have a clear understanding of when it is
appropriate to use an abstract class.

You also improved my alternating row color approach. I had a bit of
javascript that I used for this purpose. Using a CSS style for odd/even
rows works even better for me since I don't have the baggage of the
javascript which I added to my pages using a border component.

Again thanks for the example.