Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/20 03:40:33 UTC

Re: cocoon syncing

On 4/5/07, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> > Bob Harner wrote:
> > >
> > > As an aside, this seems to illustrate why it would be much better to
> > > base ongoing Lenya development on a *released* version of cocoon and
> > > not its trunk, right?  If 1.4 is to be released in a few weeks, it
> > > would have to be based on Cocoon's most recent release, right?  That's
> > > 2.1.10.  The last I heard was that most Lenya developers are using the
> > > Cocoon trunk rather than the 2.1.10 release (is this still the case?),
> > > which means that significant extra testing (and patching?) would need
> > > to be done before releasing 1.4.
> >
> > important point. but the 2.1.11 release is imminent, and so we might
> > have a good chance of a sync'ed release.
> >
> > in general, i prefer following the cocoon trunk during most of the
> > development cycle (continous integration among apache projects does
> > create some friction, but it's generally a Good Thing imho), but i agree
> > that we should "freeze" our cocoon external a lot earlier in future
> > releases, to guarantee proper testing.
>
> Are there features/fixes in Cocoon 2.1.11 that Lenya requires?  Does
> anybody even know?
>
> Continuous integration is great for developers who are working closely
> together.  It is often a nightmare for those who aren't.  Hopefully
> 2.1.11 will come out soon and it won't matter -- but that would just
> be good luck, not good planning, right?
>

> > after 1.4 is out the door, we should talk about cocoon 2.2 anyways, and
> > iiuc they are considering block-wise releases, which might complicate a
> > few things for us...
> >

> > regards,
> >
> > jörn

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but another month and a half has
past and Lenya's SVN external for Cocoon is still pointing to the
unreleased Cocoon trunk rather than a released version.  Remember, the
Lenya 1.4 release needs to be based on (and thoroughly tested on) a
released version of Cocoon, and for all anybody really knows the
2.1.11 release of Cocoon might take a while longer.  Meanwhile Cocoon
is likely to change even while a Lenya code freeze is in place.  And
we have yet to test whether the released version of 2.1.10 works with
the Lenya trunk.

Maybe as a compromise the policy should be that whenever a freeze is
announced, the SVN external is pointed at the then-released version of
Cocoon.  We can always point at the 2.1.11 version if and when it is
released.

Re: cocoon syncing

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 08:23 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Bob Harner wrote:
> > I'm sorry to bring this up again, but another month and a half has
> > past and Lenya's SVN external for Cocoon is still pointing to the
> > unreleased Cocoon trunk rather than a released version.  Remember, the
> > Lenya 1.4 release needs to be based on (and thoroughly tested on) a
> > released version of Cocoon, and for all anybody really knows the
> > 2.1.11 release of Cocoon might take a while longer.  Meanwhile Cocoon
> > is likely to change even while a Lenya code freeze is in place.  And
> > we have yet to test whether the released version of 2.1.10 works with
> > the Lenya trunk.
> >
> > Maybe as a compromise the policy should be that whenever a freeze is
> > announced, the SVN external is pointed at the then-released version of
> > Cocoon.  We can always point at the 2.1.11 version if and when it is
> > released.
> >
> +1

Thanks Bob to remind about this issue.

I agree and to make sure we all pay sufficient attention to this issue
you may call a vote. I am +1 on your proposal.

salu2

Re: cocoon syncing

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Bob Harner wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That's
>> using the
>> case?),
>> need
>> >
>> > important point. but the 2.1.11 release is imminent, and so we might
>> > have a good chance of a sync'ed release.
>> >
>> > in general, i prefer following the cocoon trunk during most of the
>> > development cycle (continous integration among apache projects does
>> > create some friction, but it's generally a Good Thing imho), but i
>> agree
>> > that we should "freeze" our cocoon external a lot earlier in future
>> > releases, to guarantee proper testing.
>>
>> Are there features/fixes in Cocoon 2.1.11 that Lenya requires?  Does
>> anybody even know?
>>
>> Continuous integration is great for developers who are working closely
>> together.  It is often a nightmare for those who aren't.  Hopefully
>> 2.1.11 will come out soon and it won't matter -- but that would just
>> be good luck, not good planning, right?
>>

>> > after 1.4 is out the door, we should talk about cocoon 2.2 anyways,
>> and
>> > iiuc they are considering block-wise releases, which might
>> complicate a
>> > few things for us...
>> >

>> > regards,
>> >
>> > jörn
>

> I'm sorry to bring this up again, but another month and a half has
> past and Lenya's SVN external for Cocoon is still pointing to the
> unreleased Cocoon trunk rather than a released version.  Remember, the
> Lenya 1.4 release needs to be based on (and thoroughly tested on) a
> released version of Cocoon, and for all anybody really knows the
> 2.1.11 release of Cocoon might take a while longer.  Meanwhile Cocoon
> is likely to change even while a Lenya code freeze is in place.  And
> we have yet to test whether the released version of 2.1.10 works with
> the Lenya trunk.
>
> Maybe as a compromise the policy should be that whenever a freeze is
> announced, the SVN external is pointed at the then-released version of
> Cocoon.  We can always point at the 2.1.11 version if and when it is
> released.

+1