Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2018/03/16 12:07:56 UTC

Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Last time we had the discussion was 2010/2011.

We might increase minimum OpenSSL version for everything newer than
2.4.x to OpenSSL 1.0.1.

I think RHEL 6 and SLES11 both provide OpenSSL 1.0.1 at least as an
alternative. RHEL 7 and SLES 12 still seems to be at 1.0.1 (at least
without service pack). I do not know about BSD and others.

Of course increasing the minimum requirement to 1.0.1 makes backports a
bit more risky. On the other hand I think our support promise for old
OpenSSL is probably no longer true, because likely almost nobody will
test anything newer than 2.4.x with OpenSSL 0.9.8, 0.9.9 or 1.0.0. The
same statement might hold for 2.4.x, but there we are bound due to our
support for older platforms.

Do we have more data points? Opinions about increasing to 1.0.1?

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Jan Ehrhardt <ph...@ehrhardt.nl>.
Yann Ylavic in gmane.comp.apache.devel (Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:34:55
+0100):
>As already said on the other thread...
>
>On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:07 PM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
>>
>> Do we have more data points? Opinions about increasing to 1.0.1?
>
>+1, and while at it I think I think we should even require 1.0.2 (if
>possible) since 1.0.1 in no longer supported at OpenSSL.

Do not forget that 1.0.1 still is the standard on distros like CentOS 6
(with backported security patches).

# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
--
Jan

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
For trunk/next only I support Yann's thoughts here.

Within the ecosystem, do we actually worry about pairing 1.0.0 OpenSSL,
pcre 6.x etc with 2.6.0 httpd? Is there any expectation that running SLES
11 will let you build modern packages? Or RHEL 5.x ... while in "extended"
pseduo-support, RedHat offers nothing more than critical fixes, and won't
target new software to run on that platform. I suggest it isn't our issue
to keep a new release running on such thing.

All these dependencies also build on such old platforms, and while it will
be rare for a user to wish to run a modern httpd on a more ancient distro,
it obviously can be done.

My distro component rev tracking table is here, just enabled comments for
suggested edits;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y5tENm_L8m0tV5iJHPfg9pQoBTeyjCB8JxwkNEwuH44/edit?usp=sharing

Realistically, we should never change our prerequisites on a released
version major.minor, so 2.4 is set in stone. Even with APR we had long ago
agreed to support 1.5.x for the lifespan, although some new modules or
features would not be supported with that older flavor.

But with any httpd version.next, if it is already part of the modern vendor
distribution ecosystem, let's move on. By the time vendors adopt, we are
time-shifted into relevance.

On Mar 16, 2018 07:44, "Eric Covener" <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As already said on the other thread...
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:07 PM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>
wrote:

>>> Do we have more data points? Opinions about increasing to 1.0.1?
>>
>> +1, and while at it I think I think we should even require 1.0.2 (if
>> possible) since 1.0.1 in no longer supported at OpenSSL.
>
> Per: https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

Although I personally have no need with $bigco hat on (no
openssl/mod_ssl here) I would not want to go too far and make life
overly difficult for maintainers who are several years into some
long/complicated support lifecycle.  Not that I know 1.0.2 is somehow
problematic or anything.

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> I found this page
>
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/singlehtml/securitymodule/securitymodule.html
>
> which mentions >>the “SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Security Module”, providing
> enhancements to SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, and later SP4.<<
>
> The packages are in a special repository named
> "nu_novell_com:SLE11-Security-Module", details on that page. I have not
> tried it though.

Sorry, I see that you had already implied it as an alternative in the
initial post -- I missed that detail.

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 03/16/2018 02:06 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
>> Am 16.03.2018 um 13:20 schrieb Eric Covener:

>>> I prefer to see it bumped in 2.4 with 1-2 year window.
>>

>> ... and wait with a dependency bump for 2.6+ also 1-2 years? Or do it there
>> earlier?
>
> I think bump trunk now, but not rip out any compat code for ease of backport.

+1

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On 18/03/2018 05:32, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:06:53 -0400
> Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think bump trunk now, but not rip out any compat code for ease of
>> backport.
>
> +1.
>
> 2.4 is a stable branch: we can't go making changes that would
> disrupt existing users.

+1

agreed, bump it to >= 1.0.2 for trunk/2.6,  but don't mess with 2.4, I'm
sure that will backfire in spectacular ways

(A colleague reading this over my shoulder, just said " fastest way for
me to stop updating apache"  my comment was, what a bout critical bug
finds, his reply "fasted way for me to move to nginx ")

> What we could do is make it an annoying (even scary) Warning
> in 2.4, and see what reactions that brings.

Why? most software with "major" version releases have minimum
requirements, openssl will just be one of them for httpd, no need to
terrorise innocent sys admins just for your jollies   :)

--
Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 17, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> 2.4 is a stable branch: we can't go making changes that would
>>> disrupt existing users.
>>>
>>> What we could do is make it an annoying (even scary) Warning
>>> in 2.4, and see what reactions that brings.
>>>

>> +1 from me
>
> ISTR that we had a several complains about a warning introduced in
> (the middle of) 2.4, possibly SSLCertificateChainFile's deprecation
> message at each startup?
> It was not quite accepted by the community and we reverted it later
> (the release was rejected IIRC).
> I wouldn't want the same thing to happen again.

One noteworthy difference in this case is that it could affect just
builders / maintainers directly.

> People running 2.4 with a deprecated version of openssl are probably
> well aware about it, and likely can't do much at this point.
> Unless/until one can selectively drop an AH by (simple) configuration...

The other options essentially punish everyone else.  We maintain
another release and they feel compelled to move to it, or we jump
through hoops to maintain compat (more complexity, time that could be
spent elsewhere)

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Stefan Eissing
<st...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> It seems we converge against keeping 2.4.x requirements and base line
> as is, but want a modern one for trunk.
>
> But unless that is released in a 2.6.x it won't mean a thing. Especially
> when people want to keep the old code in for portability of fixes to 2.4.
>
> Can't have it both ways, I think. Did I miss something?

I agree there is little value in a trunk-only requirement bump if
there is never a subsequent release. But without knowing what the
future holds, I think drawing a line in the sand now while it's on our
minds is still pretty reasonable, and probably makes the next bump
easier depending on when a later release comes together.

I don't see why the old code would be (necessarily) problematic to
retain though. If it is, then I'd be looking at the long-term outlook
for 2.4 to see which is the lesser f two evils.

(my 2c not at full face value -- I have little stake in mod_ssl/openssl)

Re: Poll: increase OpenSSL version requirement for trunk?

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
It seems we converge against keeping 2.4.x requirements and base line
as is, but want a modern one for trunk.

But unless that is released in a 2.6.x it won't mean a thing. Especially
when people want to keep the old code in for portability of fixes to 2.4.

Can't have it both ways, I think. Did I miss something?

-Stefan

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Am 16.03.2018 um 13:44 schrieb Eric Covener:
 > Although I personally have no need with $bigco hat on (no
 > openssl/mod_ssl here) I would not want to go too far and make life
 > overly difficult for maintainers who are several years into some
 > long/complicated support lifecycle.  Not that I know 1.0.2 is somehow
 > problematic or anything.

It seems that RHEL supports 1.0.2 starting with 7.4. I did not find any
1.0.2 info for SLES 12, it seems they are still at 1.0.1. So I would
slightly prefer increasing to 1.0.1 for trunk soon and I would be OK
with doing the same as suggested by Eric after announcement in a 1-2
years time frame for 2.4.x.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.