Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/17 20:10:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Breaking change: remove static initialized GraphSONMessageSerializerV1d0 serializer

Hello all

This is regarding the PR: https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/1355

In the above PR, I am proposing the removal of a public field which is
statically initialized in the upcoming release 3.4.9. Removing this static
initialization will speed up a single connection client initialization time
by 30%. Further note that this field is not used in the client code base
currently and has been deprecated since release 3.3.5.

Although it's usage is very unlikely since this field initializes a very
old serializer, the removal will break any application layer code which is
using this field in their code base. The break would be caught during
compilation and could be replaced with an alternative as depicted below.

*Before:*
Serializers.DEFAULT_RESULT_SERIALIZER

*After:*
Serializers.MIME_GRAPHSON_V1D0.simpleInstance()

We are willing to make this breaking change because the likelihood of any
code using this public field is very low and the gains we get by removing
this is significant. Also note that these fields are already removed in
3.5.0.

Please reply to this thread in the next 72 hours. if you have any concerns
about this change.

Regards,
Divij Vaidya