Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com> on 2002/11/01 11:47:16 UTC

i18n (was: feedback from adopting Forrest to renew my site with i 18n support)

> From: IAS [mailto:master@iasandcb.pe.kr]
> > From: Piroumian Konstantin [mailto:KPiroumian@protek.com]
> >
> Thanks. If you want to see multilingual text, you can do that
> with additional regional settings in Windows 2000 and XP
> regardless of what they mean :)

;) I remember font problems with it, though I only tried on Win2000. Maybe
XP comes already with all the needed fonts.

> > A few questions:
> > 	- Is your site going to provide content in multiple languages
> and
> > are you going to provide content based on the user's
> selected locale?
> I've been very interested in i18n and l10n since the Internet
> era began. Actually there are some things I have to think of
> the issue: per-page-l10n and one-page-i18n. Basically Java
> (standard platform and enterprise platform) supports locale
> based bundle system, however, it also has some inconvenience
> in handling non-unicode-typeset resource files.

I am the maintaner of Cocoon i18n support and beeing buzy now with
non-Cocoon things I have no possibility to improve it and support as I'd
like to. I think that your i18n experience would be very valuable for
Cocoon.

>I conceived
> XMLBundle, which implements ResourceBundle and contains all
> the keys and values for multiple languages simultaneously
> thanks to UTF-8 encoding of XML documents. On the other hand,
> "XMLBundle" concept also has some demerit, especially, for
> product use because i18n is not a job for one person. Hence
> I'm now experimenting all the methods I can carry out.

Do you mean the XMLBundle from Avalon (Excalibur to be exact)?
Originally, Cocoon used the implementation of XMLResourceBundle from Avalon.
They were not finished that time and now they are not maintaned any more, so
we moved the code to Cocoon itself. There was some discussion on their
improvement, but it didn't end up in any new code or so. Just take a look at
Cocoon's i18n stuff in: org.apache.cocoon.i18n package and
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.I18nTransformer.

> Recently I was inspired by JSTL i18n and adopted it to my
> 1st-generation site, http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/1g/ . Its
> welcome page is like this:
>
> <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" %>
> <%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" %>
> <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
> ... <c:if test="${param['locale'] != null}">
>   <fmt:setLocale value="${param['locale']}" scope="session"
> /> </c:if> ...
>
> Anyways, I'd like to tell you that I'm "now considering" like
> Playstation2's "now loading". If you have ideas and
> implementations, please let me know some. I'll appreciate all.

I was also suggested by BASF-IT developers to implement the same JSTL
functionality for Cocoon and they have implemented several parts of it (it's
in the scratchpad of Cocoon and partially on my HDD), but unfortunately,
I've never had time to look into the implementation details and apply it to
Cocoon.

I also have a new implementation of I18nTransformer for Cocoon, which is a
little more flexible than the current one and hopefully I'll commit it as
soon as my GPRS at home works.

So, I'd suggest you to take a look at all the i18n support in Cocoon and
i18n samples in: /samples/i18n (http://localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/i18n/)
and patch at will.

> > 	- Would you mind to provide Korean and/or Japanese translations
> > Cocoon i18n samples?
> >
> Could you inform me of the related pages (links) or contents?

Simply take a look at the following files and you'll get the idea:
xml-cocoon/src/webapp/samples/i18n/translations/*.xml

And then submit a patch at Bugzilla with the translations.

> > To Forresters: Shouldn't we support i18n? We could use a special
> 'locale'
> > input module (yes, I know that input modules are not yet finalized)
> for
> > content selection. And also, I have a new implementation of i18n
> > transformer that can do in-place translations (though,
> personally, I
> > prefer to
> have
> > separate documents for text content).
> >
> I expect your great work on that, i.e. Forrest i18n.

Your suggestions and help are welcome!

Regards,
  Konstantin

P.S. Please send any messages directly to kpiroumian@apache.org or