Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> on 2022/01/05 16:42:46 UTC

Re: Looking for a champion: resurrect log4j 1.x

Hello,

I just came across this thread - same as Ralph, I currently don't mentor any podlings. However, I am still on the Logging PMC.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, at 07:05, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
> Ralph>I was busy
>
> The world is on fire with log4j, so if you have no time left for 1.x, then,
> please, just let others do the maintenance.

You have been constantly treating others with disrespect.

Nobody of us committed any time for log4j1 since 2012, and since 2015 it is EOL. Nobody of us even thought about giving any time to log4j1 until you came up on this list. I think it is fair to say the world is on fire with log4j2 BUT NOT with log4j1.

There is no new security issues with log4j1. Instead we retired log4j1 for many reasons, including some multithreading issues which require heavy architectural changes - which we then fixed with log4j2. Nobody was able to fix it back then.

Maybe I have missed something, but we never accepted a single podling for just one release, with one committer, with the original PMC opposing this step. And this for two security issues which are 10 years old which are not comparable to the ones we found in log4j2.

I recommend looking at the Logging Chairs statement for details if interested which will be sent soon.

Also, I don't think Cobol and Log4j 1 match up.

That being said, the PMCs job - especially those people dealing with this issue - has been excellent so far, and this email thread looks like some of us were blocking all the time. That's not true and is a wrong impression. We just haven't heard good arguments for resurrecting log4j1.

Cheers
Christian