Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Philippe DesRosiers <ph...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/06 18:03:42 UTC

Handling very large Excel files with HSSF?

I'm trying to open a very LARGE excel file (around 45 thousand rows, but
only seven or eight columns), but HSSF seems to hang during the creation of
the HSSFWorkbook. Here's some code:

<snip>
            content = new FileInputStream(myFile);
            POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(content);
            HSSFWorkbook workbook = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);      //code hangs
on this line.
</snip>

Does anyone have any ideas? Does HSSF just not support large files? What is
the largest file size supported? Can I enable logging in HSSF to get more
information?

thanks,

Re: Handling very large Excel files with HSSF?

Posted by de...@yahoo.com.
Phillipe,

You could:
0. Use an alpha release which I believe has a few
fixes for memory issues
1. Use event API if you want to read only a subset of
cells in a large file
2. Increase the initial JVM heap setting (increase the
maximum heap setting if you get OutofMemory)
3. Use jdbc-odbc driver to read the file using SQL if
you are running on Windows (google:excel jdbc)

hth,
~ amol

--- Philippe DesRosiers