Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by James Rhodes <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/05 03:02:23 UTC

lucene and web services?

Has anyone successfully implemented a web services front end to remotely
search a Lucene index? I've tried to do it with the Xfire stuff in
MyEclipse, but their default Aegis xml mapping stuff doesn't support the
Lucene Hits object. I'd like to avoid searching a remote index via RMI, but
for now it works. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Bob

RE: Re: lucene and web services?

Posted by Vladimir Olenin <VO...@cihi.ca>.
You might want to check out:
- Solr (WS & RESTish access to Lucene engine, both search & index)
- DWR (AJAX remote access library. Not really a WS, since communication protocol is not generic at this point, but works excellent if all you need is access to POJOs from JavaScript; it's more or less a very good AJAX remoting kit)
- AJAX-RPC or JAVA-AJAX-RPC (don't remeber the name exactly). Similar to DWR, but protocol is standard JSON. A bit more difficult to use though and has a bit more limitations)

Vlad

Posted by Graham Stead <gs...@ieee.org>.
Jim,

IMHO, Solr is excellent and perhaps your best bet.

There's a new-ish Lucene WS project here: http://lucene-ws.net/. I have not
tried it, but it looks fine if you want to interface vanilla Lucene to, for
example, Opensearch.

There's an older Lucene WS project here: http://lucene-ws.sourceforge.net/.

Hope this helps,
-Graham