Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/03 20:50:40 UTC

Migration of website to svnpubsub

L.S.,

I have been looking into the mandatory migration of our website to
svnpubsub today and it looks like the easiest solution would be to
simply use the Wagen SVN provider to publish our existing website
pages to a location in Subversion.  That would involve a few minor POM
changes and it worksfor both the main website project and the
documentation branches.  We could e.g. configure them to publish to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/site

Once we modified those two projects, the only thing missing would be
the Confluence-generated content - I would suggest we just copy the
current contents as-is into the same SVN location, so we can keep
those pages around in http://servicemix.apache.org/old for now.  The
contents is largely obsolete, but perhaps some people still depend on
some of this information for older ServiceMix 3.x deployments.

There a few drawbacks to that approach that I can see, but none of
them are really blocking in my mind:
- the commits to the website publishing location are being done by
wagon and they all have the same commit message - this should not be a
big problem because we still have the actual
servicemix-documentation/servicemix-website project commits to
communicate the actual change to the Scalate pages
- at present, the wagon mechanism is unable to delete files from the
publishing location that have been deleted from the Scalate codebase -
we actually have the same problem with the SCP publishing mechanism we
are using today

Once we have migrated to svnpubsub though, it also becomes easier to
delete the stale pages because we can just remove them from SVN.  The
real benefit for us would be that those deletions as well as any
changes we make to the documentation or website will be published
immediately after we commit them.

If this sounds OK to everyone, I'll make the necessary changes to the
POMs tomorrow and will publish the result on a machine of mine, so we
can ensure that everything looks OK before we ask infra@ to flip the
switch for the main website.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Re: Migration of website to svnpubsub

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 given we can still get back the old stuff if necessary.

Thanks
-------------
Freeman Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042
weibo: http://weibo.com/u/1473905042

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

OK, if we leave the old stuff out for now, the contents in
http://people.apache.org/~gertv/smx/ and
http://people.apache.org/~gertv/smx/docs/4.4.x/ is pretty much what we
want to move forward with.  I'll give people until tomorrow to see if
there's anything obvious missing and then I'll ask INFRA to flip the
switch to the new svnpubsub website contents.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Migration of website to svnpubsub

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Gert Vanthienen
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> L.S.,

> I have been working on moving the generated contents from both our
> website and documentation subproject over to svn for publication using
> svnpubsub.  I have temporarily made a copy of the resulting website
> available on http://people.apache.org/~gertv/smx/ for evaluation
> purposes and that seems to work out fine.
>
> While trying to move the old website contents over, I noticed it is
> quite a beefy commit (over 1300 pages, over 60 MB of contents) so I'll
> have to find a quiet time to commit that.  But the real question is :
> do we really want to keep those pages around?
>
> We have already gone over that contents twice to find useful bits and
> migrate those to the website/documentation project, so perhaps we
> should just drop the '/old' stuff from the svnpubsub migration.  If we
> encounter any useful bits that are missing afterwards, it probably
> makes more sense to have them in the documentation/website projects
> anyway (we can still cherry-pick that contents from Confluence using
> the Scalate plugin) where they can be maintained, so in my mind this
> would be a good time to get rid of the old website copy.
>

> Wdyt?

+1 to get rid.

IMHO an up-to-date website that focuses on the 4.x platform of SMX would help
getting continued and more attraction to the SMX project.

And then it would be easier to find the TODO / gaps in the docs that
needs filling out.

For example as a new user to SMX you may read about what is is, and
you get a page
http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/4.4.x/architecture/what-is-smx4.html
That has many TODO markers.

So hopefully with this effort, the team and community would like to
contribute and help with the docs.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: Migration of website to svnpubsub

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks
Freeman
-------------

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sep 4, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gert
>
> I suggest to touch base with Dan K. He has migrated Apache CXF and is
> doing the same for Camel as well.
> I am not sure if what he has setup is the same as you are proposing.
> But would IMHO make the most sense if the Apache projects was similar.
> Then there is also ActiveMQ, has it been migrated?

CXF and Camel  (and ActiveMQ) are a bit different in that they still maintain their sites and all content in Confluence.   ServiceMix has changed to using a maven site stuff.

HOWEVER, there may even be an easier solution.   If the maven build can be setup to accept and output directory (instead of target/site or whatever), you can have infrastructure setup a buildbot build that will run the build and automatically handle all the svn stuff.   It would trigger on checkin of the site source, build, publish, etc… all automatically.   Developers would never need to "site-deploy" or anything like that.

Basically, CXF/Camel kind of "abuse" that by running maven to call a Java program that does the export to the target directory.   Infra then has the script to add/rm/commit/etc… the output.  Since CXF/Camel are in confluence, they don't have the "trigger on checkin" option and instead are timed builds.

That said, depending on the amount of content, it might just be better to go with the CMS.   The CMS would allow others to "fork" the site, make changes, submit diffs, make comments, etc… that we wouldn't get from the Maven build.

Dan

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Gert Vanthienen
> <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> L.S.,
>>

>> I have been looking into the mandatory migration of our website to
>> svnpubsub today and it looks like the easiest solution would be to
>> simply use the Wagen SVN provider to publish our existing website
>> pages to a location in Subversion.  That would involve a few minor POM
>> changes and it worksfor both the main website project and the
>> documentation branches.  We could e.g. configure them to publish to
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/site
>>
>> Once we modified those two projects, the only thing missing would be
>> the Confluence-generated content - I would suggest we just copy the
>> current contents as-is into the same SVN location, so we can keep
>> those pages around in http://servicemix.apache.org/old for now.  The
>> contents is largely obsolete, but perhaps some people still depend on
>> some of this information for older ServiceMix 3.x deployments.
>>
>> There a few drawbacks to that approach that I can see, but none of
>> them are really blocking in my mind:
>> - the commits to the website publishing location are being done by
>> wagon and they all have the same commit message - this should not be a
>> big problem because we still have the actual
>> servicemix-documentation/servicemix-website project commits to
>> communicate the actual change to the Scalate pages
>> - at present, the wagon mechanism is unable to delete files from the
>> publishing location that have been deleted from the Scalate codebase -
>> we actually have the same problem with the SCP publishing mechanism we
>> are using today
>>
>> Once we have migrated to svnpubsub though, it also becomes easier to
>> delete the stale pages because we can just remove them from SVN.  The
>> real benefit for us would be that those deletions as well as any
>> changes we make to the documentation or website will be published
>> immediately after we commit them.
>>
>> If this sounds OK to everyone, I'll make the necessary changes to the
>> POMs tomorrow and will publish the result on a machine of mine, so we
>> can ensure that everything looks OK before we ask infra@ to flip the
>> switch for the main website.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> ------------------------
>> FuseSource
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> FuseSource
> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Daniel Kulp

Re: Migration of website to svnpubsub

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gert

<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> L.S.,
>

> I have been looking into the mandatory migration of our website to
> svnpubsub today and it looks like the easiest solution would be to
> simply use the Wagen SVN provider to publish our existing website
> pages to a location in Subversion.  That would involve a few minor POM
> changes and it worksfor both the main website project and the
> documentation branches.  We could e.g. configure them to publish to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/site
>
> Once we modified those two projects, the only thing missing would be
> the Confluence-generated content - I would suggest we just copy the
> current contents as-is into the same SVN location, so we can keep
> those pages around in http://servicemix.apache.org/old for now.  The
> contents is largely obsolete, but perhaps some people still depend on
> some of this information for older ServiceMix 3.x deployments.
>
> There a few drawbacks to that approach that I can see, but none of
> them are really blocking in my mind:
> - the commits to the website publishing location are being done by
> wagon and they all have the same commit message - this should not be a
> big problem because we still have the actual
> servicemix-documentation/servicemix-website project commits to
> communicate the actual change to the Scalate pages
> - at present, the wagon mechanism is unable to delete files from the
> publishing location that have been deleted from the Scalate codebase -
> we actually have the same problem with the SCP publishing mechanism we
> are using today
>
> Once we have migrated to svnpubsub though, it also becomes easier to
> delete the stale pages because we can just remove them from SVN.  The
> real benefit for us would be that those deletions as well as any
> changes we make to the documentation or website will be published
> immediately after we commit them.
>
> If this sounds OK to everyone, I'll make the necessary changes to the
> POMs tomorrow and will publish the result on a machine of mine, so we
> can ensure that everything looks OK before we ask infra@ to flip the
> switch for the main website.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 09/03/2012 08:50 PM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:
> L.S.,
>

> I have been looking into the mandatory migration of our website to
> svnpubsub today and it looks like the easiest solution would be to
> simply use the Wagen SVN provider to publish our existing website
> pages to a location in Subversion.  That would involve a few minor POM
> changes and it worksfor both the main website project and the
> documentation branches.  We could e.g. configure them to publish to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/site
>
> Once we modified those two projects, the only thing missing would be
> the Confluence-generated content - I would suggest we just copy the
> current contents as-is into the same SVN location, so we can keep
> those pages around in http://servicemix.apache.org/old for now.  The
> contents is largely obsolete, but perhaps some people still depend on
> some of this information for older ServiceMix 3.x deployments.
>
> There a few drawbacks to that approach that I can see, but none of
> them are really blocking in my mind:
> - the commits to the website publishing location are being done by
> wagon and they all have the same commit message - this should not be a
> big problem because we still have the actual
> servicemix-documentation/servicemix-website project commits to
> communicate the actual change to the Scalate pages
> - at present, the wagon mechanism is unable to delete files from the
> publishing location that have been deleted from the Scalate codebase -
> we actually have the same problem with the SCP publishing mechanism we
> are using today
>
> Once we have migrated to svnpubsub though, it also becomes easier to
> delete the stale pages because we can just remove them from SVN.  The
> real benefit for us would be that those deletions as well as any
> changes we make to the documentation or website will be published
> immediately after we commit them.
>
> If this sounds OK to everyone, I'll make the necessary changes to the
> POMs tomorrow and will publish the result on a machine of mine, so we
> can ensure that everything looks OK before we ask infra@ to flip the
> switch for the main website.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen