Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/06 01:07:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.3.3.

The vote is open until February 8 6:00PM (PST) and passes if a majority +1
PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.3.3-rc2 (commit
66fd9c34bf406a4b5f86605d06c9607752bd637a):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.3-rc2

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.3-rc2-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1298/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.3-rc2-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.3 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12343759

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.3?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.3 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 2.3.3

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

P.S.
I checked all the tests passed in the Amazon Linux 2 AMI;
$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_191"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
$ ./build/mvn -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos
-Psparkr test

--
---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.
+1

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:10 AM Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1 for 2.3.3 RC2.
>
> Thank you, Takeshi.
>
> And, +1 for 2.3.4 as 2.3.x EOL release.
>
> Cheers,
> Dongjoon.
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 6:48 AM Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't be wasted effort, as there is probably going to be a 2.3.4
>> release before 2.3.x is EOL. At least, having reliable tests on
>> Jenkins helps not miss problems with backports to 2.3.x. I seem to
>> recall something was change in 2.4.x to help this but either didn't
>> work or didn't apply to 2.3.x, so there may already be a clue in the
>> 2.4.x branch about the issue.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:34 PM Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Might be out of topic: regarding SPARK-24211 (flaky tests in
>> StreamingJoinSuite) I might volunteer to take a look, but if things are not
>> flaky with branch 2.4 and EOL on branch 2.3 is coming sooner (in some
>> months), I wonder we still want to tackle it in any way.
>> >
>> > 2019년 2월 7일 (목) 오후 2:21, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

>> https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/Spark%20QA%20Test%20(Dashboard)/job/spark-branch-2.3-test-maven-hadoop-2.7/601/testReport/org.apache.spark.sql.streaming/StreamingOuterJoinSuite/left_outer_join_with_non_key_condition_violated/

>> version 2.3.3.

>> majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with

>> http://spark.apache.org/

>> 66fd9c34bf406a4b5f86605d06c9607752bd637a):

>> at:

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1298/

>> then

>> Java/Scala
>> test

>> "Target Version/s" = 2.3.3

>> -Psparkr test

John Zhuge

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the last minute vote.

+1

2019년 2월 8일 (금) 오전 10:15, Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, all.

wrote:

> +1 for 2.3.3 RC2.
>
> Thank you, Takeshi.
>
> And, +1 for 2.3.4 as 2.3.x EOL release.
>
> Cheers,
> Dongjoon.
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 6:48 AM Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't be wasted effort, as there is probably going to be a 2.3.4
>> release before 2.3.x is EOL. At least, having reliable tests on
>> Jenkins helps not miss problems with backports to 2.3.x. I seem to
>> recall something was change in 2.4.x to help this but either didn't
>> work or didn't apply to 2.3.x, so there may already be a clue in the
>> 2.4.x branch about the issue.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:34 PM Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Might be out of topic: regarding SPARK-24211 (flaky tests in
>> StreamingJoinSuite) I might volunteer to take a look, but if things are not
>> flaky with branch 2.4 and EOL on branch 2.3 is coming sooner (in some
>> months), I wonder we still want to tackle it in any way.
>> >
>> > 2019년 2월 7일 (목) 오후 2:21, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

>> https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/Spark%20QA%20Test%20(Dashboard)/job/spark-branch-2.3-test-maven-hadoop-2.7/601/testReport/org.apache.spark.sql.streaming/StreamingOuterJoinSuite/left_outer_join_with_non_key_condition_violated/

>> version 2.3.3.

>> majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with

>> http://spark.apache.org/

>> 66fd9c34bf406a4b5f86605d06c9607752bd637a):

>> at:

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1298/

>> then

>> Java/Scala
>> test

>> "Target Version/s" = 2.3.3

>> -Psparkr test

---

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 2.3.3 RC2.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all

We already have enough binding +1 now, so I'll close the vote (passed) in a
few hours.
If any problem, please let me know.

Thanks,
Takeshi

--
---

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Felix,

`-Pkubernetes-integration-tests` doesn't exist in branch-2.3?
Probably, it does in master/branch-2.4.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:51 AM Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI: I've been working on stabilizing tests on streaming join and Kafka
> continuous mode (they're somewhat coupled with - Kafka continuous mode
> fails after porting back commit on streaming join) for branch-2.3, and I
> think it's done. https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/23757
>
> 2019년 2월 11일 (월) 오전 5:08, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
>
>> The HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite is hard to make robust as it
>> downloads several huge Spark archives. It does try several mirrors and
>> fall back to archive.apache, but, still, plenty of scope for
>> occasional errors. We need to keep this restricted to only testing a
>> few recent Spark versions.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > +1
>> > See note
>> >
>> > Tested build from source and running tests.
>> > Also tested SparkR basic - ran more tests in RC1 and checked there was
>> no change in R since. So I’m ok with that.
>> >
>> > Note:
>> > 1. Opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-26855 on the
>> SparkSubmitSuite failure - (thanks to Sean’s tip) I don’t think it’s
>> blocker.
>> >
>> > 2. Ran into a failure in HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite. But passed
>> the 2nd ran (How reliable is archive.apache? It failed for
>> > me before)
>> > WARN org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite: Failed
>> to download Spark 2.3.2 from
>> https://archive.apache.org/dist/spark/spark-2.3.2/spark-2.3.2-bin-hadoop2.7.tgz:
>> Socket closed
>> > org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite *** ABORTED
>> ***
>> > Exception encountered when invoking run on a nested suite - Unable to
>> download Spark 2.3.2 (HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite.scala:97)
>> >
>> > 3. There are a fair bit of changes in Python and SQL - someone should
>> test that
>> >
>> > 4. Last time k8s integration tests is broken before it isn’t built by
>> default. Could someone test with -Pkubernetes -Pkubernetes-integration-tests
>> >
>> > SPARK-26482 broke the integration tests

---

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1

________________________________
Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.

--
John Zhuge

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

--
Marcelo

---

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I count 2 binding votes :)...
>
> Op vr 8 feb. 2019 om 22:36 schreef Felix Cheung <felixcheung_m@hotmail.com
> >

>> Nope, still only 1 binding vote ;)
>>

>> ------------------------------

---

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.3 (RC2)

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for that info, all!

Yeah, sure. I'll wait for more votes until the next Wed.(PST)
based on the Xiao's suggestion.

Enjoy your vacation.

Best,
Takeshi

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:30 PM Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.
>> >
>> > P.S.
>> > I checked all the tests passed in the Amazon Linux 2 AMI;
>> > $ java -version
>> > openjdk version "1.8.0_191"
>> > OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
>> > OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)
>> > $ ./build/mvn -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos

---

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
(There isn't a hard time limit on votes; they just need to give at
_least_ 72 hours. Indeed just wait until next week for more votes.)

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Takeshi,

Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.invalid> 于2019年2月8日周五 下午5:03写道:

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.